Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - clacker

Just for info: VAG Fuel Additive part no. G00170003 has been superceded by part no. G001770A2. It comes in a 90 ml can with spout and treats 45-75 Litres, Costs about £6 a can.

...Also there is another I have found on the web but my local dealer is unable to find it on their database. It is part no. ZVW239003 - 192ml bottle, "Continuous-use formula for Prevention of Carbon Deposit Accumulation".

I would be interested in readers views of either of these.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - gordonbennet

I thought almost if not all maunfacturers advised against using fuel additives...bit odd when they stick a chargeable inejctor cleaner it at service time but hey ho....so have VW got another common but inadmissable fault showing it's head, this time carbon build up?

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - jc2

Manufacturers do not recommend additives and do NOT put a charge on at service times-DEALERS do(nice profit for them-squirt from their bulk supply-their oil has come out of a 45 gallon drum if not a larger tank but they'll charge by the litre)-just say NO.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - gordonbennet

Agreed jc2, but if this is a VAG part number it must be approved by the maker, or does it not work like that?

I have used this stuff in the past, for nothing more than maintenance as it's cheap.

The reason I post the new no., is that it has come up on the forum before and seems to be recomended. The new stuff is different though, it's clear and one 90 ml can is for 45-75 Litres, The other part no. seems to be for a product that is more similar to the old product. (190 ml bottle).

I have no real way of telling if it actually does any good, but £6 every so often does no harm.

This comes up on the web, generally, on Audi forums as the FSI engines suffer from the problem with oil mist on the back of the valves. As posters there point out, no fuel additive can touch this problem as the fuel is injected directly.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - jc2

Yes;they sell it to the dealers who sell it to the gullible public and they both make a profit on it.You can buy branded oil but as long as the oil you use meets the specific requirements of your engine,it won't do any harm-just another way of making a profit-my local dealer does not use oil branded by the manufacturer that he sells cars for but another refiner who presumably offers lower bulk price.And there is considerable difference between "approved" and "recommended"."Approved" means it won't do any HARM not necessarilly any good.

Edited by jc2 on 05/11/2011 at 15:06

T

Edited by clacker on 11/11/2011 at 14:48

Thanks for the conributions, Gents.

What I am interested in, is the contents of this, it's clear and not at all like the product it superceded.

Is there anyone from VAG who could shed light on this?

I have to assume it's a reasonable product as VAG are the only manufacturer who make their own.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - Collos25

There is probably more snake oil in the latest recipe.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - nortones2

I doubt that VW make it. Possibly a firm like Chevron, who make many tested additives that go into fuel.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - MikeTorque

Is this an alternative solution ?

Have you considered using either :

Millers Petrol Power Ecomax for petrol vehicles
Millers Diesel Power Ecomax for diesel vehicles

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_AUTO_RETAIL.htm

Well this is the question: The VAG additive along with Millers, seem to be the only ones I have ever seen recomended.

I can see why folk are suspicious though but for VAG to have their own leads me to belive that they see a need for it.

Any Petrol - VAG Fuel Additive - MikeTorque

Well this is the question: The VAG additive along with Millers, seem to be the only ones I have ever seen recomended.

I can see why folk are suspicious though but for VAG to have their own leads me to belive that they see a need for it.

Millers works well for every engine type. VAG are one of few manufactures to recommend fuel additives usage. They understand the limitations of some of the additive packages used in the main fuel supply and the problems associated with putting/mixing different fuel brands into a vehicles fuel tank and the resulting dilution/weakening effects of the combined additives. (e.g. 30% of brand A + 70% of brand B does not equal 100% strength of any one specific additive package).

Hence, by adding a full dose of a standalone fuel additive package, such as Millers, the full benefits of a 100% additive in the fuel provides optimal cleaning and performance for both petrol & diesel engines.