Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - damagedgoods

Hi there I'm about to move to a hilltop village in the Chilterns. We've been advised to get a 4WD as it can get cut off in winter. Is this really necessary? Next question will be what should I get. Or can I get away with front wheel drive?

Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - richardcroft

Do most of the locals have a 4wd? If you go for one Japo/Korean are probably best. If you don't need high clearance a Subaru Legacy.

They do but I'm wondering if that's for the right reason. I've currently got an ancient Audi A4 Avant and was wondering about a 2001 era all road...

Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - madf

If you have winter tyres, you'll pass all the 4x4s that do not..

Or get stuck behind someone with summer tyres..

A 4 x4 with summer tyres in snow is a waste of space and time.

So if I have to buy a second car anyway would you get 4WD (point taken about the right tyres)

Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - oldtoffee

>>>They do but I'm wondering if that's for the right reason.

Some will have them for the right reason but most in the Chilterns will have them for the school run. A couple of years ago I slogged it back relatively drama free in the snow from Worcester via Birdlip/Cheltenham/A40 in a Subaru Legacy with summer tyres and the deepest snow was on the high ground between Stokenchurch J5 and High Wycombe J4 on the M40. If it snows in the Chilterns you will get it far worse on the the high ground and the gritters don't rush out to the extremeties, but its unlikely to be a regular event and so deep that a normal car with winter tyres on couldn't safely get about its business.

Yes - I think you put your finger on it. It's only the odd week!

Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - madf

We live further North in the Staffordshire Moorlands where we get more snow and we are 200metres above sealevel.. and rather hilly.

When it snows, I can still drive but the parenst collecting wee Jimmie and Jane from the local school tend to get stuck. Many are in 4x4s with summer tyres..

I have bought AutoSocks in case of snow.. But they will probably be a waste of time as others will not have winter tyres and will get stuck, blocking the roads...

Land Rover Defender - Moving to the Chilterns do I need a 4WD? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd probably go with the winter tyres instead. Braking works on all 4 wheels anyway; 4WD might get you going a bit quicker but you'd need the grip from the appropriate tyres as well. I guess ground clearance is their main advantage.