James May - 475TBJ
"DO people become the car they buy... or do they buy that sort of car because they are that sort of person?

I'm wary of saying: 'That's a boy car and that's a girl's.' You don't drive with your genitals. There are only two types of person. Those that like cars and those that don't.

But I'll make two points. Are BMW drivers aggressive? And are Volvo drivers blind?

Well, there's no smoke without fire."

James May - tony g
Hi tbj,
I'm pretty certain that certain cars appeal much more to female drivers ,
During this year I've sold 6 Renault megane cabriolet diesels and two Tigra convertibles ,
7 out of the 8 were sold to a new female owner ,most of the previous owners were also female.
I appreciate that it's a small sample to draw a conclusion from ,but I'm seems probable to me.
On the same subject why are we so fascinated with convertibles in the Uk?.
I believe that we buy more convertibles in the Uk as as percentage of cars sold ,than anywhere else in Europe ?
It can't be because of the weather ,so what's the fascination .

Tony g
James May - Falkirk Bairn
On the same subject why are we so fascinated with convertibles in the Uk?. I believe that we buy more convertibles in the Uk as as percentage of cars sold ,than anywhere else in Europe ? It can't be because of the weather ,so what's the fascination . Tony g

Easy, lots of young girls like to get their tops down - summer or winter - easily confirmed any Friday./Saturday night.

Same applies to convertibles owned by young girls (and some not so young!)
James May - Mike H
But I'll make two points. Are BMW drivers aggressive? And are Volvo drivers blind?

He's well out of touch - Audi drivers took over the aggressive mantle from BMWs at least 2 years ago.

James May - 475TBJ

He's well out of touch - Audi drivers took over the aggressive mantle from BMWs at least 2 years ago.

And some Skoda drivers.

James May - jamie745

The aggressive Skoda drivers are even worse as they're angry Audi drivers at heart who couldnt afford an Audi.

James May - tony g
Again what's the fascination with Audi,I've just taken an Audi a3 diesel in part exchange ,nice enough thing with low mileage and full dealer service history.

The price is the problem . it stands me at almost three times the price of an equivalent mondeo.!

It's better to drive ,but not that much better.the mondeo has more room ,a smoother drive with it's wider track,is cheaper to service and insure .The quality is pretty good these days to.

An expensive way to impress the neighbours ?

Tony g

James May - jamie745

Again what's the fascination with Audi

Good question. Ive never found an Audi which i like or that seems to make any sense economically, like you say you could get a Mondeo (and probably better spec and less desirable to thieves) for less money.

James May - balleballe

The aggressive Skoda drivers are even worse as they're angry Audi drivers at heart who couldnt afford an Audi.

:D

James May - concrete

Come on Jamie, aggresive and Skoda hardly go hand in hand. I drive an excellent Superb and certainly would not regularly return 50mpg if it was driven aggresively or badly. I can easily afford an Audi or a BMW but could not justify the cost for the return. In 44 years of driving I have come across aggresive idiots driving almost everything from HGV to Ford Prefects. Maybe the vehicle does change the personality of the driver but the driver must have a predisposition towards the 'dark side' in the first place. I also know some very nice and gentle drivers who drice Audi and BMW etc. James Mays' comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. It is not the car driving the fool, but other way around. Cheers Concrete

James May - Armitage Shanks {p}

BMW drivers are still the leaders of the 24 hour a day foglight clique!

James May - Bobbin Threadbare

BMW drivers are still the leaders of the 24 hour a day foglight clique!

I have just been followed on a very very wet and rainy journey down my local bit of the M6 by a 3-series BMW with his sidelights on (when conditions did merit proper headlights) and his fogs. For goodness' sake.

James May - balleballe

Down south - BMW drivers are still the more aggressive, IMO Up North - the Audi drivers are
James May - fredthefifth

By my own admission when I owned a 260bhp SAAB 9-5 Aero, I went daft. Don't know what it was but every traffic light was a race and the odd bit of quiet motorway too. Don't know what it was, I knew it was happening, I could even talk about it, I knew how badly I was driving but in the car something used to happen. To be honest it was quite frightening.

I drive a 140 bhp HDi Peugeot 407 now which is nippy enough but it doesn't happen, no longer the traffic light races or silly speeds on the motorway. No longer in fear of a speeding ticket from some unseen source or an immediate ban and probably jail sentence for the speeding.

Maybe not quite the response the OP was looking for but pertinent I think.

FTF

James May - RicardoB

I think Audi drivers (of any model but especially A4) are now the more aggressive, rear bumper hugging types.

BMWs with the permanent foglights on is a good point. Along with the bizarre/annoying/gimmicky (take your pic) halo lights.

And talking of James May, did anyone else notice that in the DT Motoring section a couple of weeks ago, having had weeks and weeks of repeating his previous articles from the last few years, they announced, "James May is now taking a break from DT", only to find that in last week's issue, there was huge coverage and puff in there for his new book?

Money for old rope, it seems! Bad as Boris.

James May - jamie745

The best bit with Boris was the parking fine bill he ran up while being GQ tester.

James May - Bromptonaut

James May went up in my estimation when I saw him (on TV) riding a Brompton. Doubt it was contrived as it was clearly quite an old model.

James May - LikedDrivingOnce

A great topic that touches me personally.

>> "DO people become the car they buy... or do they buy that sort of car because they are that sort of person?"
I'll offer a third alternative: "Because they would like to be 'that sort of person' "

Car before last was a BMW. Excellent drivers car like everyone says. I bought one because I had a positive image of the brand engineering, and I liked to think of myself as a keen (and good) driver.

It DID affect my driving. I became more "spirited". The thing is, you buy a BMW because it drives so well. It's seems a waste not to use its abilities as much as you can within the bound of safety. (I never cut people up, or tailgated, or jumped queues, however).

After a while I came to my senses. I realised that I wasn't a particularly good, or even keen, driver. In reality I had other priorities. I wanted something handsome, practical and well built. The only car that ticked all the boxes happened to be an Audi. I never liked the Audi image, but it's won me over. I'm happy to cruise serenely and safely along in it. I feel at ease that I finally have the car that fits my true needs and wants.

James May - 1litregolfeater

Soon, personal motor cars will be a thing of the past, and we'll all be back on horses if we can afford one.

Like people who like owning dogs, we will like to resemble our horse, and horse traders will price them according to our aspirations and self-image.

Albert Steptoe or The Lone Ranger, quite like now really

James May - piston power

My good mate drives a new Mercedes buys one every 2 years "because he's a solicitor" and he thinks it's what is expected of him because he earns a few quid.

He lives in these new flats and pays RENT!!

Me i buy what i can fit in as im a tall man not much choice as there is for you small guys. :-)