police - police speed trap - lucythedog

I have a problem thats worrying me,.

I was driving down an dual carriageway A road at speed varying between 43 and 40 miles per hour, most people drive faster than me on this road. the speed limit is 40 in this particular stretch,.

I saw a lone policeman standing on the road at a distance pointing a gun at me,. I have never seen one of these before and it frightened me because I thought it was an actual gun,

I looked at the speedo and it said 40 mph, I may have been going a little over this before I saw the policeman at a distance and slowed out of reaction when I saw the gun, but it wouldnt have been more than 43 at most,

I am now worried I will get a ticket I cannot get any points as I am disabled and cannot be without a car. For this reason I am a slow and careful driver.

I have no point now, but even three would push up insurance costs, as as I am barely able to afford them as it is, this would be the end of my life as I simply couldnt pay the costs,

I am usually the one who gets hassled by drivers for keeping the speed limit, so dont deserve this grief.

I am panicking all the time, in fact this afternoon I almost got runover when I got out of the car, because I was only worring about the speed gun thing, and I am still distressed now. and wont be sleeping tonight or for the next two weeks.

please advise what I can do

police - police speed trap - jamie745

Well first off dont panic. They generally dont bother with something like a 43 in a 40. The 'guideline' is 10% + 2mph over the limit, now this isnt a cast iron law or a rule or anything its a guidance for the police, if they wanted to do you for 41 in a 40 and had conclusive proof then they could do so. But generally they dont so dont panic about anything yet.

Even if you do receive a ticket you do have the right to contest it.

www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driving-advice/dealin.../

police - police speed trap - skittles

If it is a police person with a gun they usually stop you at the time, in my experience.

Just to add been stopped a couple of times but never ha a ticket issued

I meant to ask if it was just a policeman or if it was a mobile van unit, they usually have their vans parked very illegally and then lecture the motoring public about driving law so they shouldve been quite visible.

What sort of speeds were you alleged to have done when you were stopped skittles?

police - police speed trap - skittles

45 in a 40, I was in a line of traffic and everyone was stopped (about 15 cars) and told off and 36 in a 30

police - police speed trap - Avant

Welcome to the foreum.

Don't panic: they point the gun at everyone (until their arm gets tired) and pick off the ones whose speed is over the limit. The vast majority of officers allow 10 % over the limit before they take any action.

Sleep well !

This 'foreum' you're working on sounds jolly lovely!

I have had the gun pointed at me before when i was probably going too fast but never heard anything of it.

Edited by jamie745 on 15/10/2011 at 01:55

police - police speed trap - oldroverboy

This 'foreum' you're working on sounds jolly lovely!

I have had the gun pointed at me before when i was probably going too fast but never heard anything of it.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum... .

There was an international forum here by the dead sea with a certain ex us general in attendance and we were tootling along, my wife driving her 18 year old toyota starlet with 4 adults, so not going fast and several policemen with real guns waved us to stop, and being my wife, didn't quite stop quick enough.. I was sitting behind her. drivers side and it was me level with the a rifle toting policeman, I shrugged my shoulders, spread my hands out to gesture sorry,and smiled. she got told off, produced car documents, and on your way folks. by the way as foreigner i am not allowed to drive local registered cars, just those with the special registration for hire cars! PS don't worrry about 43 in a 40 zone, was let off in france a few years ago at 140mph on the motorway, but was driving a lotus.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 15/10/2011 at 08:13

police - police speed trap - 1litregolfeater

Just as you said here, you saw a man in the distance pointing a gun at you, and accelerated as quickly as possible to avoid being hit.

Any jury would acquit you.

police - police speed trap - barney100

Swmbo got stopped the other day for 34 in a 30 and just got a warning and shown crash type pictures but that was it. Think you won't hear any more if they didn't stop you on the day.

Presumably a crash at 29 in a 30 would be perfectly safe.

police - police speed trap - Fick Fella

please advise what I can do

Not begin every sentence with "I"?

Are you related to blubell by any chance?

Is that the best contribution you can come up with? Even i manage better than that.

police - police speed trap - Andy P

If it's just a speed gun, then they must stop you there and then and show you the speed off the gun itself. If it has a camera attached to it (which means tripod mounted or in a van), then you can get the ticket in the post.