Winter Tyres - Now or never? - Sulphur Man

Following last winters high snowfall, and the independent meterologists who are predicting more of the same for this winter, I plan on switching the tyres on our Honda FR-V to a winter compound next month.

We live on small close which is reached via a mildly inclined road, but that was enough to defeat the car during the worst of winter 2010/2011. The need for better traction is higher this year, with increased school run activity, and an elderly relative who needs regular assitance.

However, we intend to keep running the FR-V for at least another 3 years (great car btw). Would it be wiser to invest in rims as well as tyres, or just get the tyres swapped off the current alloys every spring and autumn? We have garage space for storage. I'm thinking towards the rims and tyres option, but any advice much appreciated.

SM

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - gordonbennet

Put snowflake marked all season tyres on instead as straight replacements, and run them all year is an alternative.

Vredestein Quatrac, Nokian NRG2 or WR (check), Goodyear Vector, Kleber Quadraxer in no particular order...many others too, but they must have the snowflake and mountain symbol to have the correct tread compound for winter use, some people including tyre fitters think M&S is winter spec, this is not the case, it only refers to the tread pattern not the compound used.

If your existing tyres are good, store them in the dark and keep them cool and eihther get them refitted when you sell in three years or flog 'em on ebay now.

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - jamie745

I think we should stop encouraging this snow. Everybody touch wood and shut up!

If it does happen just stay at home with a bottle of wine in the warm. And a nice big steak meal. Perhaps with mushrooms also.

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - Death51
We all know it's coming so we can all laugh at the rear wheel drive BMW lot etc struggle :) it gives me no end of fun watching some of the drivers struggle to move off or up a 2% incline.

I have winter tyres for both our cars and I will breeze past everyone again !
Winter Tyres - Now or never? - P3t3r

I got a set of steel wheels and tyres for my C1. It cost me a little less than £350 (4 wheels and 4 tyres) online. If it avoids just one small scrape or saves me from having to abandon my car somewhere and walk then it was worth it. There also the added advantage of not being stuck at home if I want to go somewhere.

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - jamie745

My bulletproof snow warrior Peugeot 406 is sorned in a garage at the moment for in case snow strikes but right now its still barbecue weather in September so lets not panic.

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - dickthepostman

my old omega had a set of proper winter tyres/rims which i swap on and off

but you have to be careful not to be puntted up the rear by the unaware ..... but i never got stopped by last years snow. unfortunatly its engine blew up and i brought an audi A6 quattro which i now have snow-on-rims tyres................Smug git

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - pugswhdi

We needed tyres for our main family car last week (also an FRV and I agree with you, it is a great car) I went to the local independent fitters and ordered up and fitted winter tyres (winter compound and tread pattern). I figure that from October on they can't really be any disadvantage, may be better all round and possibly really useful if the snow comes again. They've not been on very long but I haven't noticed it using more fuel and it may even be quieter at low speeds (wind and engine noise drown out all noise except that made by the kids in our 1.7 petrol car over 55mph).

They were only £5 each more than the regular tyres I would have otherwise chosen to fit so worth a go I thought.

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - beecee

I'm ready to fit my winter tyres, got a spare set of 2nd alloys. I'm doing this all on a tight budget, so so I need 5 rather than 4, (I have a spare tyre) as if I had a space saver tyre and should I get a flat I'm sure I'd not not have the option of a winter tyre? BC

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - sb10

if people knew how to drive in the snow they wouldnt need winter tyres,in all the winters I have lived through the only car I had a problem with was a triumph 2000,all other cars have driven fine in the snow

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - nortones2

I don't find fresh snow to be a problem so far as getting going etc is concerned. But its when it gets compressed and refreezes: then even a slight slope can confound. I have driven a Transit for work in snow in hilly Sheffield - so I'm not entirely clueless where snow is concerned. The winter tyres on the Jazz manage where others simply cannot. However, what I'd really want is a BMW fitted with winters, and apparently defy the laws of physics as I glide by stricken 4wds:)

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - craig1912
if people knew how to drive in the snow they wouldnt need winter tyres,in all the winters I have lived through the only car I had a problem with was a triumph 2000,all other cars have driven fine in snow.

What rubbish- I can drive in snow but getting my car with wide tyres off my drive is impossible
Winter Tyres - Now or never? - tim-cumbria

I wouldn't bother fitting a winter tyre on the spare since the chances of a puncture are low. If I had a flat, I would use an ordinary spare on the rear wheels of my fwd car to get me to a garage that could fix the flat. Yes, safety would be compromised a bit, but driving more slowly on this combination would surely be safer than driving on summer tyres.

Having said that, I have a space saver spare on one of my cars, winter tyres are readily available to fit it. It was a little more difficult to get winter tyres in the standard size!

I have just discovered this petition regarding winter tyres.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15929

I don't agree with the idea of making the use of winter tyres compulsory across the UK, but signing might result in better publicity.

I do think lesser measures can be taken to encourage their use by drivers who have little choice but to drive in snowy and icy conditions. This might include an increased insurance excess for anyone making a claim for an accident that occurred during wintry conditions whilst summer tyres were fitted to the vehicle.

Edited by tim-cumbria on 02/11/2011 at 06:41

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - tim-cumbria

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 02/11/2011 at 21:57

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - Victorbox

"I have just discovered this petition regarding winter tyres."

I bet the creator of the petition works for a tyre company.....

Winter Tyres - Now or never? - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I'm ready to fit my winter tyres, got a spare set of 2nd alloys. I'm doing this all on a tight budget, so so I need 5 rather than 4, (I have a spare tyre) as if I had a space saver tyre and should I get a flat I'm sure I'd not not have the option of a winter tyre? BC

You need a spare which can go on either side of the car. Most snow tyres have a directional tread pattern and when fitted to a wheel can only go on the side in which they will rotate in the correct direction. Never use a directional tyre on the wrong side! The tread pattern when rotating correctly will push water out and away from the tyre, but rotating the wrong way 'round, water will be pushed to the centre of the tread, causing the tyre to aquaplane (with possible fatal consequences!).