Toyota Yaris Verso 2000 ( x reg ) - Toyota Yaris Verso Timing Chain - willowtreemum

Can anyone tell me about this part and the cost involved to replace ? I believe it needs changing at 100,000 miles and need to know the cheapest place to obtain the part and an approximate cost ???? Thanks all x

Toyota Yaris Verso 2000 ( x reg ) - Toyota Yaris Verso Timing Chain - willowtreemum

Also just to add...As I'm only a girl , and havent a clue other than turning the key and hoping for the best...Does the chain HAVE to be replaced at the given recommendation ? The car is for sale currently , has recently had the fanbelt replaced but is making a low level ' rattling' noise on tickover and until it reaches higher reves , when it disappears...I 'assume' ( again, note... I'm a GIRL ) this to be something to do with the chain but dont want to be spending to much money on it given that , as I said , it's up for sale ...Any help would be appreciated :) < flutters eyelids and hopes for the best >

Edited by willowtreemum on 26/09/2011 at 13:46

Toyota Yaris Verso 2000 ( x reg ) - Toyota Yaris Verso Timing Chain - madf

Youngest son has a 1.0 Yaris and I have replaced the chain on it at 97k miles.. BUT only because it was very noisy from a lack of oil changes..

The rattling sound at tickover is - as you suspect - the chain. It may be using the wrong oil, not had an oil change or the chain is clapped out.

A new chain plus tensioners plus all the various gubbins costs in the region of £230... Plus labour.

To change it is a quite lengthy proces involving removing the chain cover (the aluminium top of engine), the air filter, the power steering pump needs to be moved to one side, the Drivers side negine mounting romoved after the engine is suspended on a hoist or a jack under the sump, the auxiliary belt removed, the chain case removed.

Phew.

Then the chain removed plus tensioners and gubbins and replaced with new and all the bits reassembled.

The manual says remove the engine sump but it is not neccessary.

Labour is about 5 hours at £70-£100 per hour.. say £500

Total bill £750. If not done done properly you get nasty oil leaks. Special sealnat specified by Toyota.

I'd look at a different car.. Versos are reasonably common.. If you don't need the extra space a saloon (5 door) is easier to drive when it's windy...

An elderly Yaris may also need the following replacing.:-

Anti roll bar rubbers at front Parts (Toyota) £50, others £25. 1 hour labour.

Exhaust. Rust. If catalyst OK £100+ Cat £250 ish. Toyota parts £££s more.

Front disks and pads.. age. Say £225.

Filler tank from fuel filler to tank: these are in the rear wheel arch and eventually rust. New £100 + plus Labour. Look under wheel arch with torch and squint under at rear.

Watch for worn clutch.. releases at top of travel.. £300++

See the HJ write up. for full list of possibles.

Basically they are very reliable but age and use..mean you have to be very careful..

I have a diesel one, son has a petrol one so we both like them.

Many very good ones, lots neglected as so reliable.

Edited by madf on 26/09/2011 at 15:07

Toyota Yaris Verso 2000 ( x reg ) - Toyota Yaris Verso Timing Chain - gordonbennet

Madf, that's an excellent write up, not a job for the faint hearted.

Reading the OP i have a feeling that our young lady poster is selling the car and doesn't want to spend out on the chain...i might well be wrong but that's how it reads to me.

If that is the case would an oil change if one hadn't been done recently quieten the thing down enough for a sale in your opinion?..worth a try?

Agree with you about Yaris', and Toyota's in general ( and Nissans of older design), unfotunately they can stand a lot of neglect, so people do so and then boot them out when they inevitably wear out prematurely.

Gb

Thanks.

"

If that is the case would an oil change if one hadn't been done recently quieten the thing down enough for a sale in your opinion?..worth a try?"

Yes.

A proper Toyota filter.. (NOT a cheap aftermarket one) and Toyota's own 3-30W semi synthetic oil would cost around £25- £30 (Toyota will dscount their oil 50%- do NOT pay full whack) - .

It may very well make a difference.. Worth a try as not very expensive (plus Labour of course if not DIY).

My experience is that chains do rattle when oil becomes older and tired. Also a selling point if indeed the car is being sold...

Thanks all x Some interesting reading there :)

Yes I have indeed put the car up for sale . Not for any other reason as I need something larger ...and I am a lady driver , not so sure about the young part , but whoever said as much , thankinyoukindly :)

The car does need to be sold asap and I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on it now , the fanbelt needed changing , my mechanic mentioned that it still had a 'squeak' and if it carried on , to bring it back as it was the power steering belt that may also need doing ?

The sound is , to my mind , more of a chain rattling noise , although , there also a loud belt 'squeak' on full lock . The steering belt didnt seem a big or expensive item to be done , whereas the timing chain does and I'm stuck trying to figure out the best course of action now as I have two children with special needs and cant be without a car for any length of time.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply and give opinions...If it was your car , what would you suggest the best course of action at this point to gain a quick sale ? Until this point , the car has ( and still does run and start first time ) absolutely fine .

Julie x

Also , the car has full service history and was last serviced , rear brakes done less than a month ago and has been pretty well looked after but if anything will quieten the noise , it could make all the difference for a sale I assume....

Hmm..

If it has just been serviced and teh correct oil and filter used, not much can help.

But pay around £5.99 ? and put a can of STP Oil Treatment in

http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additives/oil-treatment/

It may quieten it down and does not cost much.. So if does not work...

Available from Halfords or any local Motor parts shop..I would think..

Sounds a nice car. Advertise it well and you should sell it easily...