Large MPV Recommendations - davidjwest

Hello,

We need a 7 (or 8) seater car and would like to here some comments about what would best suit our needs.

We will be doing around 15k a year and budget is up to around £8k but if we can get something cheaper then all the better.

Current favourite is the Seat Alhambra.

We currently own a Renault Grand Scenic that has turned into a money-pit so please don't suggest another one of those horrors!

Thanks.

Large MPV Recommendations - pugswhdi

If you need a large mpv the regular alhambra et al cars might not really be big enough. This might be why you went for the espace previously? Based on what you've said I'd be looking for a short wheel base VW caravelle (the LWB models are really very long vehicles). the SWB still has loads of room for both passengers and luggage and your budget will secure a good T4 model with a seat combination that suits you.

Large MPV Recommendations - davidjwest

Thanks, when I say large MPV I really mean one with 7 full size seats minimum, the Grand Scenic only has two small seats in the boot fit for children up to about age 8, while the Alhambra is full size seats in the boot.

We don't really need 7 seats as well as extra storage space, I don't take all the kids shopping as I would have a nervous breakdown ;-)

Cheers.

Large MPV Recommendations - gordonbennet

Look up Addison Lee's sales centre, they are selling their 08 plate ex private hire new shape Galaxy's at around your budget, they service their vehicles better than recommended by the makers, worth a browse.

Large MPV Recommendations - jamie745

Some good condition but albiet high mileage Volvo XC90's around for that sort of money. Lots of car for the money mind. Vauxhall Zafira as well, ive been in the rear seats of one it was alright (at 6ft tall), better than walking but not what i'd call comfortable.

Large MPV Recommendations - pugswhdi

Sorry, i saw espace not scenic (my error completely). Scenic changes things although I'm sure that both have equal potential to be money pits!

7 full size seats with limited storage space is well catered for by the usual suspects such as the alhambra you mentioned. my dad used to run a 1.9tdi (90bhp) sharan that he sold at about 230,000 miles. the only thing ever to give trouble was the air conditioning which was usually £1000 to fix twice. Annoying but over 200,000 miles in his ownership still made for cheap motoring. I'm not sure that the newer models are as strong though, you'll see a lot of trouble on here with DMFs and turbos ...

Large MPV Recommendations - dieseldogg

I have commented to the wife on several occassions that ordinary sensible non-motoring journlist type people have woken up to how good a vehicle the old Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy actually was, if one needs the room & versility & fuel economy.

Simply because I see a surprising number of surprisingly rough ones on the school run or as family hacks in the local area.

I will probably miss ours when she finally lies down.

Your wife sounds a lucky lady :P

Oh she is

At least three times a week!

I posted similar figures with a wife once also.....she wasnt my wife though LOL!

Large MPV Recommendations - mduckod

I can highly recommend the VW Caddy Maxi Life, I've had one for three years, loads of space, and great fuel ecomomy. Managed to travel from Ireland to Essex with all seven seats full, luggage for 7 people for 1 week and a wheelchair in the car.

I regretted not more seriousley considering a Caddy Maxi Life as a direct replacment for der Galaxy, having a fondness for VW design/engineering

I find the Octavia too low for easy access, preferring the "sit up & beg" driving position.

Did you buy new or second hand?

Edited by dieseldogg on 28/09/2011 at 13:18

Large MPV Recommendations - rogue-trooper

I used to have a Mitsu Grandis (which I sold to my brother). The VAG engine could do with a bit more sound proofing, but it is a good car. The rear seats are quite big, and there is still a decent amount of storage behind them when up. The middle row can be a little tight if you have 3 big child seats, although my brother seems to get by OK. It would have been nice to have 3 individual seats. The boot is very good with the rear most seats down, especially given that it isn't that wide. It has nearly exactly the same dimensions as my E39 estate.

Dealers are a rip off, so if you have an indy who can look after it all the better. Spares are expensive (or were) but I am sure on-line things can be picked up more cheaply. The most annoying thing about it was the reflection off the dash in the windscreen. Polarized glasses cut that out though. Also while the quoted mpg is 42.8mpg, we didn't seem to manage to get near that even at motorway cruising. Also at 6ft3 I did find that sometimes I didn't have enough room for my knees. There is no adjusment for reach and the driving seat could do with going back another inch or so, but as it doesn't middle row legroom is good (and the seats slide to give more room for the rear). And it doesn't look too bad either (although that is subjective).

Large MPV Recommendations - login

VW Shuttle SWB

Large MPV Recommendations - mduckod

Got the VW Caddy Maxi back in 2009 as a motability vehicle, as a replacement for our Citroen Dispatch wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (biggest mistake of our life!!) My Mrs absolutely hated it, 8 months of pregnancy strapped into the back of the Dispatch, on the "lovely" roads of Fermanagh was, and this is no understatement, a complete and utter disaster. Baby seats didnt fit on the rear seats as the were made narrower to allow wheelcair access between them. With 4 children 3 of whom needed baby seats we decided to resort to a direct transfer in and out of the passanger seat as a better option.Bit more lifting and such but as you say, you cannot fault the 1.9tdi engine, bit noisy but with 4 kids in a car it helps drown out the quarrels!! :D

You can find good second hand models in and around the £8000 mark, but considering the space and build quality theres not many in that sector of the market offering as much for the same price.