VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - bverduijn

Hello there

I have a 2006 T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp (145k miles). The engine ceased a few
months ago, shortly after putting petrol in instead of diesel (duh). I ended up having the engine completely remanufactured for the princely sum of £3,700 (they also replaced the flywheel and clutch kit). When I got the van back it started to shudder very badly - usually around 1600-2000 rpm. Took it back and was told the air mass meter had failed, so I replaced that. Shudder continued. Took it back, they replaced all the engine mounts and fitted another new flywheel and clutch to be safe.

The shudder didn't go away. They did notice a little bit of excess play in the drive shaft (a few mm), but basically the mechanics are at a complete loss as to what is causing the shudder. Their current theory is that it is likely to be the gearbox. What they think might have happened is as follows. They reckon that when the engine ceased, the forces involved might have had a major impact on the drive shaft (hence the excess play) and subsequently b*****ed up the internals of the gearbox to some degree.

The shudder appears to kick in in all gears, but is very noticeable around 1500-2000 RPM in 3rd gear and up. Particularly when going up hill or when putting my foot down for quick acceleration. The mechanics have basically suggested to monitor it for a while to see if it gets worse, as that might help pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. Whilst this makes some sense, I am very worried everytime I accelerate the van. The van should have heaps of power but because of the shudder it performs sub-optimally.

In addition, the van has been starting very badly and failed to start completely today - however, this is probably to do with the starter motor, so hopefully that's a relatively quick fix and probably unrelated to the shuddering?

Could anyone shed some light on what might be wrong and what to do next? Also, if it is the gearbox - what sort of cost am I looking at and should I replace it asap or wait for matters to deteriorate?

Any views and advice much appreciated! This episode has already cost more than £4k and still isn't right - am I very worried...

Bjorn

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Peter.N.

Does it do it when stationary if reved to that speed?

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - bverduijn

Hi Peter

No it doesn't shudder when stationary only when actually driving and usually only when the engine has a lot to do, i.e. acceleration and/or going uphill.

Any ideas?

Quick update - just had RAC out to look at van (as it's not starting). They reckon this is due to a faulty starter motor or connections to starter motor.

However, they also checked the oil and turns out it's completely empty... so either it's leaking, or something is wrong in engine causing it to consume to much oil, or the *muppets* never put (enough) oil into it in the first place - although they said they replaced the oil only last week...

... van's going out to garage tomorrow morning, so will see what they come up with this time... not impressed so far

thanks for all the tips.

Just met up with RAC again to drop van off at garage. Guy reckons that, given the engine remanufacture, it is very strange for the engine oil to be well below minimum and thinks that might be cause of the shudder problems (potentially due to leaking head gasket)... does that seem plausible?
VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Bluebateman
Hi,

Did you ever get to the bottom your van shudder.

Regards
Angus
VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Big John

[EDIT] - just seen the date of OP

Edited by Big John on 10/07/2016 at 00:53

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - 3uga

To test the theory thet the gearbox is at fault, rev the engine while stoped and in gear. This way you could easyly determine the waht is at fault before puting new gearbox and destroing this one as well. If you have vibratios, could be a deformed crank. If it is it will cause cracks in flywheel and gearbox.

If by doig this and no vibrations are present, most likely it wil be the gearbox. In most engines, torque vibrations are at there max anywhere from 1250-2200rpm. I own a 1.9 AXB and vibrations are at their peak at about 1700-1800rpm.

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - galileo

To test the theory thet the gearbox is at fault, rev the engine while stoped and in gear. This way you could easyly determine the waht is at fault before puting new gearbox and destroing this one as well. If you have vibratios, could be a deformed crank. If it is it will cause cracks in flywheel and gearbox.

If by doig this and no vibrations are present, most likely it wil be the gearbox. In most engines, torque vibrations are at there max anywhere from 1250-2200rpm. I own a 1.9 AXB and vibrations are at their peak at about 1700-1800rpm.

How can you rev the engine while stopped and in gear? Do you mean to do this with foot down on the clutch, if so you should say so. Or do you mean to rev the engine while in neutral?

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - 3uga

If its a manual, with foot on the cluth.

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - 1Dave1975

Hi Bjorn,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I am having the exact same problem, spent a fortune and getting nowhere with it.

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Kian28

Hi Dave I seem to be having the same problem too. Have you had any luck since?

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Ryan Connor

I'm having the exact same problem, mines fine on flat its going up hill or a slight hill is where it judders like mad, had a new dmf, and drive shaft fitted over the weekend and still no joy :(

VW Transporter T5 2.5l TDi 130bhp - Shudder in T5 130bhp - gearbox problem? - Big John

Is my memory correct in that the T5 2.5tdi has a mechanical distributor fuel pump? These can start to fail fail (especially after mis-fuelling) and some symptoms can be poor starting and shuddering.

Edited by Big John on 06/10/2020 at 23:17