The rugby world cup - HF

Can't believe none of you full-blooded men are interested. I'll be getting up for the 9.30am kick-off because I don't have the vibrator (other thread) to keep me company.

One of the best moments ever was JW's winning kick 8 years ago. Can we do it again?

The rugby world cup - jamie745

Couldnt care less about rugby to be quite honest. It says alot about the narrow appeal that only around 7 or 8 countries in the entire World care about rugby and 4 of them are us.

The rugby world cup - Avant

I'm not a sports fanatic but I like to know what's going on. Certainly rugby is a more watchable game than soccer, and it's played by real men rather than overpaid hypochondriacs with 'groin strain'.

I remember the '03 World Cup - we were staying with friends in Cape Town and with SA out of it our hosts were kind enough to support England in the final!

Yes theres still people who go 'oh rugbys better than football' yet the billions in advertising revenue, foreign investors and money which is mind boggling still rolls into football because more people in the world wish to watch that than other sports. Manchester City have some players who are on £200,000 a week, i cant imagine rugby players, even top ones get paid quite that much.

Theres obviously alot of money in other sports, Formula One racing drivers rake it in.

The rugby world cup - HF

your point being, jamie?

You'll get used to him, HF: even if he doesn't have anything to say, he'll still say it at length. It's a talent that one feels should somehow be harnessed. Writing for the Guardian, perhaps.

My point is that football is still the worlds biggest sport and theres mindboggling money in it. Of course some tennis players rake in millions from sponsorship things, Formula one drivers are paid an awful lot, some Golfists (is that the word) do as well but i feel the numbers suggest football has a wider worldwide appeal than Rugby. Doesnt make it a bad sport, i like snooker but thats only really played professionally in a few countries.

I think sometimes the money and popularity of football puts people off the game and they look towards the more niche rugby, if that makes sense.

The rugby world cup - HF

hahaha avant.

I see what u mean and why u all love him.

But jamie all I asked was if anyone was watching the game in the morning, not an in-depth report of your views on all sports. And no you don't make sense really.

The rugby world cup - Bobbin Threadbare

I will be watching it!! I love rugby union; I played it (no. 14 because small and nippy and occasional forays into fly-half) and have followed it since before I can remember!

I remember the '03 World Cup - we were staying with friends in Cape Town and with SA out of it our hosts were kind enough to support England in the final!

Am sickeningly jealous. I have the commemorative winners' shirt though. Luckily my uni lectures fit around the matches!

From a woman's perspective, gimme a rugby player over a wimpy little footballer anyday!

Also, J - there's not only 7 or 8 countries mate. Watch it and see!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 10/09/2011 at 00:42

No thanks im alright. Get the ball to the other end without passing forwards, what a stupid game. Just making it more difficult for themselves.

Edited by jamie745 on 10/09/2011 at 00:44

It's a challenge. Besides, I like hitting people. It was fun to play. It's my birthday tomorrow too. Just thought I'd get that in there.

Were we meant to bring gifts?

Happy birthday Bobbin - at midnight I can be one of the first to wish you many happy returns. Good thing I don't believe in star signs......

PS - in women's rugby is there a polite name for the position that in men's rugby is called a hooker?

Edited by Avant on 10/09/2011 at 00:59

The rugby world cup - HF

happy birthday. I do believe in star signs. Maybe all of us except jamie can get behind the england team for the next few weeks

Oh if we win then i'll point it out to any non-English person i meet but im still not interested.

The rugby world cup - HF

why non english people jamie? actually i have no idea what race you are

Many thanks for the birthday wishes!

Alas no, the position is still known as a 'hooker'.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 10/09/2011 at 01:05

The rugby world cup - Dutchie
I used to play rugby league tough game enjoyed it.I was a average player our son was top. good have been a pro but he lost interest in training.He be watching matches live in N Zealand.Hooker not the female kind..)Tough position in League in the middle of two props.Where the punches fly.
The rugby world cup - Collos25

I always thought the largest participant sport was fishing,I am a rugby union myself but both codes are exciting to watch at any level.I have travelled round the world through work and have never thought football was as important as say cricket in India and Pakistan,camel racing in Saudia,snooker in China,Ice hockey in Germany,Rugby in France,Baseball in America.Samba in Brasil.

There are other things in life other than overpriced, overhyped and overpayed football.

The rugby world cup - daveyjp

Early start tomorrow - 4.30 for Wales v Samoa, then the England game, breakfast before taking daughter to U6 training, then a live game, then home.

I'll be up for the second half of England.......hopefully!

The rugby world cup - HF

It's so worth it! And saturday we get a lie-in till half 8, bliss. The HF world doesn't run easy at the moment but my goodness an england win cheers things up. Betcha loads more of u will suddenly be into it if we get to the final :D. Jamie, of course, will continue to watch polo or synchronised swimming or whatever is his passion...

Football dear, sometimes snooker or ideally sexy lesbian jelly wrestling.

The rugby world cup - HF

Football dear, sometimes snooker or ideally sexy lesbian jelly wrestling.

Haha. You're not the only football fan here my dear.

You annoy me if you don't get behind your country tho.

Do u mean women with jelly or women who look like jelly?

Well i was all for jelly with women but the thought of a rowntree boil in the bag woman is sounding very interesting.

The rugby world cup - HF

Damn u jamie. Stop making me laugh. Im having the worst nite ive had ever since declaring my independence, and im not meant to be laughing.

"You annoy me if you don't get behind your country tho."

Oh he does, he does. Quite a long way behind..... :)

The rugby world cup - HF

Ah I see. Jamie is the one who can't hold the baton up until it's time to pass it on. :)

I'll show you exactly how long i can hold my baton up if you keep being cheeky missy!

The rugby world cup - HF

I'll show you exactly how long i can hold my baton up if you keep being cheeky missy!

Good evening Jamie. How nice to 'see' you. I do hope you will be watching on Saturday.

Only sport i'll be watching on Saturday is the Merseyside derby which is usually a thoroughly violent affair even compared to rugby.

On Sky Sports....*puts on deep voice* in H-Deeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The rugby world cup - HF

Funnily enough, I'm just listening to 'you'll never walk alone'. Because I like the song.

Don't know which side of the coin you are my dear, coins do flip both ways after all.

If we beat Scotland Saturday just don't join the bandwagon, cos it will have left without you :)

Jamie you dirty Koppite.

The rugby world cup - HF

Ah. I have prior knowledge of koppites, having somehow given birth to one.

Don't really know what to say except that I'm ever so sorry for jamie

So am I. He thinks Derby is on Merseyside.... :)

The rugby world cup - HF

Anyone bother with the game this morning? It was awesomely terrifying

Just watched Ireland thrash Italy - awesome game!

If i watched a game of Rugby i wouldnt know who was winning!

I feel much the same about tennis - bop, bop, backwards and forwards...and then the game stops again and again.....and that silly scoring system. What's the point of 'deuce' anyway?

I dont think there is a scoring system in tennis i think they just whack it back and forth until someone decides 'ok you win' and they put a random number on the board.

The rugby world cup - HF

I dont think there is a scoring system in tennis i think they just whack it back and forth until someone decides 'ok you win' and they put a random number on the board.

which would all be very nice and british - except we never win. We need to change the rules.

As for the rugby, to be honest I sit there watching without a clue as to what's going on.

I do the national anthem at the beginning, then i clap my hands if we get a try.

Have been trying to u/s the terminology but even the kids, who played rugby, can't explain it.

It's dead exciting tho. Just england doing well at anything is good :)

Thats extremely English, proud of our progression and willing to shout about it even though we dont know whats happening.

The rugby world cup - HF

Thats extremely English, proud of our progression and willing to shout about it even though we dont know whats happening.

yes. English and very proud of it, although sometimes it's hard to remember quite why.

Well, sucky England are out of it. Pathetic! I shall be watching Wales from now on...!!

The rugby world cup - HF

me too. the football was a bit pathetic too wasnt it?

I have no idea about the footy; I have never been interested except at local club level. However, the Daily Telegraph Sport page had the headline 'IDIOT' emblazoned across a picture of the England football match and 'Wayne Rooney' underneath it. I didn't need to read further.

The rugby world cup - HF

Yes - you didn't. Both rugby and football, these people are meant to represent us, and be proud to do so. I for one am not proud of any of them at the moment.

At least the England football team got the result required and booked a place in next summers tournament despite the idiots kick in the opponents leg.

The rugby world cup - HF

A draw against montenegro is hardly going to have the rest of Europe quaking in their ridiculously expensive designer boots though is it?

Certainly not but next summer when we kick off in Polkraine, a wet windy draw in Montenegro the previous October really wont matter. In fact most people have forgotten it already. People always expect England to win 14-0 and anything less is an epic failure (according to Fleet Street) but the fact is we won the group and got the job done and thats all that matters.

The rugby world cup - madf

People always expect England to win 14-0 and anything less is an epic failure (according to Fleet Street) but the fact is we won the group and got the job done and thats all that matters.

You may. I expect England to lose against good teams like Germany.. I am rarely disappaointed.

The only worse lot are the English RU team who make Paul Gascoigne look sane and well behaved.. (difficult to imagine I know)...

I almost get the sense that the rugby lads did it on purpose; it's like the couldn't be bothered. We managed to win in 2003, and got to the final in 2007, but this time 'yawn'. Even Ireland bombed out, and I usually watch them as my sort of 2nd choice team (what with the Irish blood and all). I like the way Wales play though.

I dont expect England to win 14-0, what i mean by that is a 2-2 home draw with Switzerland gets described as a catastrophic failure and scorn against the shirt etc alot of from the fact the media still cant handle the fact a foreigner is in charge as they'd prefer the less well qualified Roy Hodgson to take over instead, or good old 'Arry Redknapp who definately comes in the category of 'not good but lucky.' Then again fleet street did kick Bobby Robson in the face so i dont suppose they're picky.

All i expected was for us to qualify and we did that. I also expect us to get through the group in Polkraine and anything after that is a lottery.

The rugby world cup - HF

Yes but England always 'just gets the job done'. Till we meet a decent team. I have no problem with a foreign manager but I think we need Mourinho.

People have this Jesus type view of Mourinho but actually the media would probably hate him more than Capello, most fans dislike Mourinho's style of football which is actually extremely simple. Load a team with very experienced hard working professionals in a solid formation and kick the living daylights out of the opposition, defend deep, defend hard, have some world class individuals in there as well of course, forge a seige mentality team spirit and use any method needed (honest or otherwise) if you can get away with it and win by any means required.

Mourinho is the epitomy of the 'get the job done' sort of Manager. The arch pragmatist, he doesnt care that its not pretty, the medal collection speaks for itself. His title winning Chelsea sides were some of the lowest scoring on record but the fact is they didnt concede many and 'got the job done.' At Inter Milan he drained the last few ounces of energy out of Europe's oldest group of players and won the Italian treble with this method.

If you want a Manager who puts fancy football before the bottom line then you want someone like a***ne Wenger but you need to realise that when his plans dont work and no matter how obvious some problems and problematic traits become, he will never, ever change his mind. Getting the job done is all that matters in this game, its not like boxing where you win on points if you dont really win.

The rugby world cup - HF

so would you like mourinho ir not?

Mourinho would certainly make the side extremely organised and probably quite brutal tactically, i think we'd put up a very good fight against even the top opposition by kicking them and using every trick in the book to disrupt them (see Inter Milan v Barcelona in the Champions League a couple of years ago). Players seem to love the guy, he creates a siege mentality everywhere he goes as Mourinho vs The World is his favourite match, but i dont know if that'd be as effective in this Job where you only see your players 3 or 4 times a year, he is more suited to club management and has already turned down an International role.

But overall i dont see what he offers that Capello doesnt, Capello is one of the finest Managers to ever work in this game with more honours to his name than all the candidates to replace him put together. Dont read too much into last years World Cup, even Ferguson has a bad month (which is all it was) but he gets a game a few days later to put it right, as England coach you dont get that.

'Arry Redknapp will probably take over after Euro 2012 and very quickly the world will see how inept he really is, his lack of tactical knowledge gets covered up regularly due to his son being on Sky Sports. He's a lucky gambler, nothing more. The England job is unforgiving to those sorts of managers so i look forward to it.

The problem that England (and probably many other national sides) have is that unlike club sides they don't play together as a team very often. That applies to both rugger and soccer (or if you prefer, rugby and socby).

I am no expert on football but from what I've read, Harry Redknapp's strength is that he understands footballers as human beings and not just kicking machines - and so gets them playing to their strengths as a team. I'd have thought that's exactly what England need, not to mention someone who speaks their own language.

Language is not an issue, these players have had foreign Managers and coaching staff at club level for many years and it hasnt done them any harm. The likes of Terry, Lampard, Cole, Gerrard, Hart, Johnson, Barry, Walcott etc have all spent alot (in some cases all) of their careers with foreign Managers. They all play in teams with numerous foreign team-mates and theres not a problem.

When it comes to Redknapp you'll read what they want you to read about him. He's a good Manager who sets up ambitious attacking sides, they play good football, but he's only got one major honour on his CV in 35 years, thats not an accident. English managers always say 'we're not given the chance with big clubs' but they dont seem to ask why. Tactically he's limited, the press are very kind to him, for instance his setup at Man City in the Spring was befitting of a novice and it cost them badly. But when Rafael Benitez got a 1-1 draw at The Emirates, Sky spent 25 minutes criticising him. Do you see my point now?

Sky will never question Jamie Redknapp's daddy even if he's got the tactics or selection obviously wrong, his team setup is very old fashioned (the same thing Capello was criticised for last summer with our rigid formation) its fine if it works but when it doesnt he's got nothing. His 'eye for a player' is mentioned but planned to send Gareth Bale out on loan to a second division team just before he became brilliant, he's bought and sold in huge quantities and most big money purchases have been wasteful, Van Der Vaart aside, i cant see how he has this great reputation. Ok as national coach theres no buying or selling involved but its another example of inflated reputations. Parker is a good signing but a fish couldve worked out thats the type of player they needed. His discarding of Darren Bent was laughable.

He may understand them as human beings but he's not alone in that, all Managers do, even the foreign ones. Despite what the media may lead you to believe, but when a foreign coach discards an English player because he's not good enough they cry to the newspapers and they all hang the Manager. Take the successful bosses of recent times, Ferguson, Capello, Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Mancini people with a medals list longer than your arm. They understand players, even if the media doesnt think they do, you cant win what they've won if you cant get players playing but thats not their only strength, or even their primary one. Redknapp is a car salesman, not much more really.

Edited by jamie745 on 13/10/2011 at 01:54

The rugby world cup - HF

Bring back Steve McClaren