free insurance or not? - Alfaman
Just doing some research into the best car to transport two little 'uns around town at the lowest cost over two years, but saftey is an issue, so no out and out bangers allowed..

The other given is a 21 year old South African nanny (uk licence) and insurance is MINIMUM £2k in London, no joke....! yes, yes get another nanny I hear you say, but you try explaining to two under 5's them that you sacked the nanny 'cos the insurance is too high....? doesn't fit in to barbie world now...and it is Christmas

So it seems that best deal is to go for one of those 12 month free insurance offers with VW or Renault, but knowing the 'going south' residuals for anything resembling garlic, I am erring on the sauerkraut side of things..

So how about a 1.2 Polo for £7,995 or lower if I can find one, they seem to have reasonable rates @ 6.5%

Does anyone reckon I can knock a dealer for more, even if they are throwing in the free insurance?? Are there better deals to be had, or am I mad for going new even with the free insurance and the fact I will have to pay for this in year 2 anyway...

merry christmas everyone
free insurance or not? - nick
Check out the conditions on the free insurance, there may well be exclusions. Nothing's free, it's all in the price, though I suppose a manufacturer might be able to get a better deal than you can.
I think I'd buy something a bit older and cheaper as it's bound to pick up a few dinks here and there. You'll worry less about it.
£2k is truly staggering!
free insurance or not? - MB
It would surely be cheaper to use taxis. Find a good local firm and set up an account - you won't do £4,500 (£2k insurance plus petrol and depreciation) in a year - will you?
MB
free insurance or not? - Alfaman
good point, but Nanny has to move out as well, so she gets £50 extra a week for moving out or I provide car...so not sure the maths stacks up then.
free insurance or not? - iwantascooby
Is there any way you could feasibly insure the car as your second car? WIll you register it? Thats often a fairly cunning way of getting cheaper insurance for the kids...
free insurance or not? - iwantascooby
Ignore previous post, misunderstood the thread. Sorry.
free insurance or not? - Mark (RLBS)
>>s there any way you could feasibly insure the car as your second car? WIll you register it? Thats often a fairly cunning way of getting cheaper insurance for the kids...

And one day you will find out why that is not a good idea.
free insurance or not? - Mark (RLBS)
Alfaman,

As a matter of interest call Norwich Union for a quote. They are usually pretty good with foreign nationals.
free insurance or not? - Blue {P}
Well, I know it's only loosely related, but I'm sick of been a named driver, so tommorow the V5 goes to the DVLA to transfer registration, and just a few minutes ago, my Fully Comp policy with Liverpool Victoria came into force. :)

Anyone care to guess how much it cost me? :(

Blue
free insurance or not? - Ben79
Either:
a, as much as the car, or
b, £50>> Well, I know it's only loosely related, but I'm sick of
£1630 :(

Car's worth about £7500ish.

Can't wait to get those NCB years! Hopefully. :)

Blue
free insurance or not? - HF
Can't wait to get those NCB years! Hopefully. :)

Drive carefully Blue and take care, and you will get them :)
HF
free insurance or not? - DavidHM
Your problem, presumably, is that you'll be changing nannies/au pairs fairly regularly, which means that you won't be able to build up NCB on any one of them.

I agree that it's probably not a great idea to open an account with a taxi firm, because you need your kids moved NOW and anyway, you'll get a better nanny if the package includes a car.

Have a look at a 5 door Fiesta as well. Alperton Ford in Ealing have some good deals on at the moment. Or Dagenham Motors, who'll allegedly beat any deal.
free insurance or not? - Jonathan {p}
If you are likely to be changing nannies regularly, why not set up a company and call the nannies employees. You could then arrange business incurance to cover yourself, your missus and any nanny you want.
free insurance or not? - MarkyMarkD
If you are likely to be changing nannies regularly, why not
set up a company and call the nannies employees. You
could then arrange business incurance to cover yourself, your missus and
any nanny you want.

Why not? Because business car insurance is far more expensive than cover for individuals.
free insurance or not? - MarkyMarkD
Your problem, presumably, is that you'll be changing nannies/au pairs fairly
regularly, which means that you won't be able to build up
NCB on any one of them.

Yes you will. Insure the car in your name, but with the nanny named as the main driver. No problem.
Hi HF,

Haven't spoken in a while, thanks, I intend to, I *really* don't want to have another bump. :)

Speak soon and take care,

Blue
free insurance or not? - HF
Blue,
Just posted on another thread saying pretty much the same!

It's really nice to hear from you again, and I hope all is going well for you.

I know you don't want another 'bump' - and it strikes me that you are one of the few new-ish drivers out there to actually have a responsible attitude. (not intending to inflame other new-ish drivers, was just a personal comment from me to Blue!)

*You* take care too, and hopefully speak soon,

Be careful, always,
HF

>>and it strikes me that you are one of the few new-ish drivers >>out there to actually have a responsible attitude.

Generally, I think I'm fairly careful, however, I have had to check myself lately, I think I'm developing a couple of bad habits which I intend to stop. I think I'll put that Chillout CD back in the car... :)

Thanks for the compliment, it made me smile. :)

Have a nice night.

Blue