Any - My own Diesel Supply - Roly93

I do a lot of mileage and own 2 diesel cars. As I have plenty of room around my property, do people think it is worth buying my own 'white' diesel in bulk, say 1200L at a time. Would there be much of a saving or would I never re-coup the cost of the storage tank ?

Any - My own Diesel Supply - Collos25

I think when you do your homework it will in fact cost more than using a company card.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - unthrottled

Where would the saving come from? The number of petrol stations is declining. If they can't make bulk storage financially viable, how will you?

The biggest component in the price of white diesel is tax and there are no bulk discounts there!

There are other problems:

1.)Diesel does not store very well. Any moisture collecting in the diesel will allow microbial growth which will form sediment.

2.) The formulation of diesel varies according to the season. You don't want to be putting summer diesel in your car in winter...

Edited by unthrottled on 05/09/2011 at 20:38

Any - My own Diesel Supply - bazza

Might be better to find the best possible credit/debit card wirth rewards etc and rack up those by filling up with them- or- using Tesco stations/bonus points etc.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - bananastand

Whilst not having the first idea what white diesel is, can I just put this forward... diesel made from waste oil from restaurants etc is great, amazing, fab. Biodiesel from plants is evil, drives up food prices and starves people in the third world. Needless to say, greenpeace thinks it's great. My evidence for this is scanty and might be out of date. thanks gents.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - unthrottled

White diesel is just ordinary (taxed) diesel, as opposed to diesel with a red dye added that indicates that it is for non road use only.

re: biodiesel-you're spot on. The only snag is that the total waste cooking oil potential to displace diesel use is less than 1%-hardly significant. For a few thousand users who are good friends with fast food outlets WVO is great (assuming their engines can handle it). For everyone else, it is a non starter.

Bit like hydrogen really.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - jamie745

No the fact that growing fuel from crops reduces the amount of land which can be used to grow food and therefore increases food prices is a fact which cannot go out of date. The law of gravity will never go out of date either. One small amendment though, instead of 'starve in the third world' it should be pointed out that it starves us here as well now!

The diesel from waste oil etc is terrific yes but theres alot of cost involved in building your mini refinery in your garden and although restaurants will be happy to have you take their waste away for free, securing a regular supply isnt easy.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - bananastand

thank you gents I am in the entertainment industry and if you want a discount next time you have a party just quote the code m,nsdjksdjkvkjnv jdv njvjkldnv

only joking. all one word it is spencer the artist with no spaces and that.

Thanking you

Any - My own Diesel Supply - mrnikko

As other backroomers have started its not really viable, for a start you will need a plastic bunded tank compleate with nozzle and power connection to a 13 amp power supply. These cost anywhere from £1200 to £1500 to buy plus vat and no you cannot get away with a metal tank these days.Also the wholesale cost of diesel delivered to you will be at best only 1 to 2 pence a litre cheaper to you remember the independant fuel company will still be applying vat to you.Its a non starter I' m afraid

Thanks for the responses, I didn't realise how little difference there is between wholesale and retail fuel, so I could never get back the cost of the storage infrastructure.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - expatsFL

We have 2 diesel tanks on the farm. One for off road use and one for road use. It saves around 5p a litre.

I think what this shows is how little the profit margin is on the fuel at the pumps. People often spout complaints about 'oil companies ripping us off' when petrol sales make up barely a nominal slice of their profits and petrol stations make very little. They literally make more from sandwiches than petrol.

Today i think the diesel price near me was 142p (or 141.9, how can you spend .9 of a pence?) and out of that only around 53p of that is diesel, 58p is tax, around 23p is tax upon tax. The petrol station makes maybe 2p.

I think what this shows is how little the profit margin is on the fuel at the pumps. People often spout complaints about 'oil companies ripping us off' when petrol sales make up barely a nominal slice of their profits and petrol stations make very little. They literally make more from sandwiches than petrol.

I think most people do appreciate this, but it is still partly the oil companies that are proffiteering just not at the forecourt.

Any - My own Diesel Supply - bathtub tom

Don't forget the scroats who'll realise there's a free supply of diesel and white diesel at that.

Well of course a company is going to look to profit from its business, thats the whole idea. It does frustrate me when we, especially in this country, view making money out of your business to be a bad thing. I dont think any of us expect energy resources to be some sort of charity. Yes oil companies make alot of money but they also spend alot of money and do alot of work to bring us our fuel.

Most of oil companies profits come from exploration rather than the sale of petrol, and the base product (oil) price is dictated by a stock market, not the companies themselves. They pay a big load of tax every year just for the right to drill off our shores for a start, they drill for it, extract it, refine it, deliver it to us etc and pay the Government 58p a litre duty before it even gets to the petrol station. When its all said and done they're doing all of this for 55p a litre (the true cost of petrol today, roughly). Then the Government, who've done nothing at all to bring us our fuel, ride in on the back of it and lump 58p on it plus 20%. At least the oil companies do something to make their money, the Govt just makes it off the back of everyone elses work.

It'd be like you making shoes and making £2 a pair, you sell them to a retailer to sell them on and the Government comes in and lumps an extra £5 a pair on them and people then accuse you of 'profiteering' when it was you who made them in the first place.