full lock grinding? - Andy22
ok its my 406 again (i hate it somtimes),

when doing a turn in the road the other day before i'd put my radio in, when the full lock was on either way i think (hard to test), obviously moving slowly their was a grinding noise coming from the wheels.

once you take even a little bit off it stops, and only at full lock, don't know about speeds cos obviously you can't move that fast with full lock on.

what does it sound like to you mechanics?
full lock grinding? - Andrew-T
On FWD cars, usually a worn or dried-out CV joint (have a look at the rubber bellows), or possibly a wheel bearing (though unlikely if it happens on both locks). If a CV has run dry there will possibly be grease thrown under the wheel arch.
full lock grinding? - nick
I had a similar thing on a different car a few years ago. Same symptoms as you. It turned out to be the metal shield behind the brake discs. The discs had been changed and the shields just touched the discs on full lock (why they moved at full lock I have no idea) making a grating noise. Fixed by bending the shield slightly. I don't know whether your car has these but it's worth a look.
had new discs not long ago and never noticed it before then, i'll not be happy if it is that because i never really trusted the garage that i had it done at in the first place, i just wanted it done asap.

will the discs be damaged, ie visably, problem is its always dark these days!
The discs will only be slightly scratched so don't worry about that. But if you have a close look you should see scrape marks and clean metal on the disc and the guard where they touch. If that's the problem of course.
Were the discs pattern parts or factory? I think the problem I had was due to pattern discs being fractionally thicker. If it is this though, it's 2 minutes to fix, just bend the guard back slightly.
Forgot to say it was difficult to spot on mine. I found it by jacking the car up with it on full lock and turning the wheel by hand.
full lock grinding? - MJRH
Sounds more like the power steering pump or belt/pulleys to me.
Does it make the noise while on full-lock but stationary ?>>
full lock grinding? - D-8valve
On my last car I had similar symptoms to those you describe here, the garage said it was the CV joint and replaced it, however it didnt solve the problem.

The noise was very noticeable on roundabouts or long bends- but only when i turned to the right, nothing when turned to the left. I later had the differential bearings replaced (i think that was all) and this solved the noise.
full lock grinding? - Blue {P}
Is it not just the normal groan that Power steering makes when you put it on full lock? It could be that you've just never noticed it because of your radio...

Blue
full lock grinding? - Dynamic Dave
As well as the other replies you've had, have either you or a previuos owner fitted different wheels? If so, maybe these wheels are slightly wider than the originals and the tyres are scuffing the inner wheel arches when on full lock.

Does this noise appear when you put full lock on when stationary, or only when you're moving?
i'm sure its just when moving, shall check again though.

its definitely a grinding noise not just the power steering pump is working.

i believe my alternator and power steering belt is the same belt, it raps round in many different directions (turbo diesel)
ok when at a standstill there is no grinding with full lock on either way, its only when moving.

additionally i heard the noise the power steering pump makes at full lock when not moving and thats not it either.

with it being dark all the time and i'm always at work and my torch being useless, i can't get a look at the discs