2005 Nissan Almera Tino 2.2dci (136) - Engine dies - kingpenda

2005 2.2dci (136) 55000 miles. I'm a steady driver these days, regularly acheiving high 40's mpg. But when I need a bit of a bit of serious acceleration -- drop down a gear or two, foot hard down on the accelerator and at around 3500 rpm the engine dies. Relax the accelerator pedal briefly then re-apply and it picks up smoothly and goes through 3500 rpm without a problem. On one or two ocassions that this has happened I've noticed a brief cloud of blue smoke behind the car, accompanied by the smell of burning oil. Any ideas anyone?

2005 Nissan Almera Tino 2.2dci (136) - Engine dies - injection doc

it could be nothing more than a blocked fuel filter ! or if the smoke is blue and the engine rattles it may be a build up of oil in the intercooler then blowing through the engine under full load.

If the engine is litteraly bowing out at 3500 it may be over boosting and dropping into limp mode.

I would concentrate on fuel filter first and if you replace it its advisable to strip the old filter and make sure its not covered in a black slimey film ! if it is the tank has got a bacteria in it!

2005 Nissan Almera Tino 2.2dci (136) - Engine dies - kingpenda

it could be nothing more than a blocked fuel filter ! or if the smoke is blue and the engine rattles it may be a build up of oil in the intercooler then blowing through the engine under full load.

If the engine is litteraly bowing out at 3500 it may be over boosting and dropping into limp mode.

I would concentrate on fuel filter first and if you replace it its advisable to strip the old filter and make sure its not covered in a black slimey film ! if it is the tank has got a bacteria in it!

Many thanks Injection doc. I'll take a look at the fuel filter but if it isn't that I'll probably try and learn to live round the problem -- no serious acceleration. I quite fancy your second theory though in which case I'll definitely have to learn to live with it -- sounds as though it could be a bit expensive to rectify. The same goes for overboosting.