Shall I get married? - HF

Sorry to say that title because I'm making the backroom sound like a women's chat group again.

But where else can I ask?

In a tiny nutshell, and old hands here will know that I'm absolutely crap when it comes to choosing men, I don't know whether to get married or not.

I kind of have a new boyfriend, and if I don't get married with him he has to return to his home country in a month.

I'd kind of like legal advice in the way of DVD and PugUgly. As in, I have a house, and it's for my children. I can't marry someone if there's any chance of him getting my home if i die.

I trust the guy but I've learned that trust is sometimes a very silly thing

Also, he thinks that I'm not allowed to marry because I only do charity work, not paid employment - is he right?

Shall I get married? - Avant

As I'm sure you know, in response to your last line, you can marry whom you like. Also you can leave your property to whomever you like - that's why it's called a will.

But - and you're going to hate me for saying this - if your boyfriend has made you uncertain about those two basic principles, he's putting pressure on you by sowing doubt in your mind. The pressure could be (OK, only could) from his wanting to live in the UK and this being a factor in his thinking as well as love for you.

Since this is a motoring forum, let me say a little pompously but sincerely - marriage is like overtaking: if in doubt, don't.

Let him go back to his homeland and see how much you miss him; you can play it by ear wheh you know how you feel. If you're really sure you won't say things like 'I kind of have new boyfriend....'

It'll take courage but then HF is for Heroic Female isn't it? Good luck.

Shall I get married? - jamie745

What the hell is happening to the Back Room?

Marriage is a total depressing useless pathetic waste of time, a dreadful rollercoaster of misery and dispair, trundling through life faking this nonsense called 'love' as you both suffocate each other until the day when one of you snaps and she gets the house and the man is left homeless offering to touch people for food.

Shall I get married? - piston power

If you live together they still get the pension and the house it makes no differance it only helps should you have children as you get automatic legal rights and unmarried man has to fight in court for these i know i have!

If in doubt don't do it top advice above & make a will now if you have not it makes sense and piece of mind when you have kids.

If it was me i'd let her keep the kids because i really hate children.

Shall I get married? - Bobbin Threadbare

If you were not their father anyway, Lord Vader, it would be very difficult to keep them.

Shall I get married? - TeeCee

In the wife's "trash mags" there is one story that comes up at least once in every one. That's the; "Married foreign bloke. Now he's got residence he's disappeared / gone off with someone else / taken up prearranged marriage abroad / etc." one. Usually this happens shortly after the woman runs out of cash for cars / trips home / presents / etc. The bloke is almost invariably significantly younger than the woman targetted.

Your last point would even suggest he's been actively looking into the right of residence situation (even if he has come up with a rubbish answer).

Put it this way: BMW X5, very low price, mobile telephone number, meet at station, cash only. Would you?

Shall I get married? - Dynamic Dave

where else can I ask?

I did give you a clue in the other thread.

I kind of have a new boyfriend

Well he either is or he isn't your boyfriend. 'kind of' doesn't sound very promising.

if I don't get married to him he has to return to his home country in a month.

Is he pressurising you into marriage? Sounds like it to me. As he's a 'new' boyfriend, should you really be considering marrying him so soon?

No doubt he's told you that he loves you with all his heart, etc, but people will always say the right things when they're just after UK citizenship.

Also, he thinks that I'm not allowed to marry because I only do charity work, not paid employment - is he right?

Let him carry on believing that.

Sorry Sarah, it's probably not what you want to hear, but I know from old you've been through some rough times, and I would hate for it to happen again to you.

Dave, Avant, and the others - thanks. As you say Dave you know me of old - and I'm not going down that path again. I'm just going to check the clue Dave. Then I'll say more

Ok Dave, hope you're not so absent from here that you don't see this - but lovely to hear from you again.

What I have isn't a full-on 'marry me marry me' situation, not at all. And I'm as cynical as everyone. Only you here really know my history, possibly Avant - I LOVE my new name from him. Would like for him as mod to change it on my details.

You know what I went through before except possibly that I was done for a load of money, which you know I didn't have!

I thought I was more sensible now - maybe I still hope for a dream - but I know this is going to turn out s***! I look at it that I've had a few happy days - sometimes that's all anyone can hope for.

Dave - luv ya always

HF, you can change it yourself if you'd like to - go to your profile. To me you'll always be Heroic Female: it takes some heroism to bare your soul on a forum like this, and I hope that at least some of us have helped a bit. Dave and I have said much the same, which reading between the lines I suspect is what you yourself think.

Go on hoping for a dream, but there are ways of helping yourself, and I'm sure you can hope for, and get, more than you think you can. Keep talking to friends - that always helps.

Thanks! I like you a lot Avant, you're very kind. You and Dave have helped a lot, and I hope you continue to do so.

Of course I continue to talk to friends - and I hope you and Dave can be amongst those.

Will try my profile.

I take it i didnt help at all.

Oh dear.

Oh well, i tried.

:)

Shall I get married? - bintang

One thing that may help you decide is to spend a lot of time with your putative in-laws, especially the wife. If there is anything you don't like about them, does their son seem likely to be influenced towards the same traits? If so, could you tolerate them? Also, is the marriage successful? If not, the son is likely to be damaged in some way, as you could be by your own background. Had I known my own in-laws better, and with my own bad family background, my bride-to-be would have remained to-be.

Shall I get married? - ivantheboss

I m sure you can answer you question by yourself :)

Edited by Avant on 27/08/2011 at 17:29

Avant's going to have fun with you later.

sorry to take so long to come back to my own question - you'll understand that I need privacy to write about this and HF minor is usually with me. Meeting the family is out of the question i'm afraid, they don't live in this country.

I guess that yes, I'm being naive as always, but I honestly don't mind marrying someone if it helps them out, as long as I'm not doing anything illegal. If a will and a pre-nup would protect my assets I kind of think why not?

Not so heroic avant, I think I'd better stick with my original name or be horrificallyconfused female.

I would suggest Baffling Woman but is there any other kind? :)

"I honestly don't mind marrying someone if it helps them out."

If anything that's unnecessarilty heroic! He wants to be able to stay in the UK and - sorry to be brutal - it sounds as if he's using you and putting pressure on you. You're worth more than that - any human being is - and espcially you who have the courage to confide in us in an open forum.

Of course it's your life and I wouldn't want to tell you how to live it. But all I can say is that I married for love and 37 years on I'm glad I did.

(Edit - from other threads I see that your children, and therefore also you, are older than I imagined. You and they are obviously very close: what are their thoughts?)

I won't say more here but you have my E-mail address if you need it.

Edited by Avant on 09/09/2011 at 22:38

Surely marrying someone just to help them out is illegal?

No of course it isn't - the law doesn't ask people's reasons for getting married.

When the reason is so as one of them can stay in the country then im pretty sure the authorities frown upon that.

it's not just that tho jamie. that's why I'm checking if there's anything illegal before I think of going ahead.

This is a wee bit personal, and I shouldn't have put it to the forum, but yes I do love the guy. We both don't know if it's a forever thing, but even if i get a year or two's happiness out of it, it will have been worth it

Shall I get married? - TeeCee

It does when one of the parties is a foreign national. Sham marriages for the purpose of gaining right to residency are an offence under the immigration act IIRC.

Theres nothing illegal in someone from here marrying a foreign national, but it is illegal to marry them purely so as they can gain right to residency and with him being a foreign national you should expect to be scrutinised very closely. Some friends of mine who were born in the UK and lived here all their lives had to answer 4 million questions when they wanted to get married.

Yes, that's right, Jamie - as I said, the law doesn't automatically require people to give reasons for marrying, but it might come to that if a clergyman or registrar granting a licence doubts the genuineness of the marriage. Inevitably that's going to happen more and more if one of the parties is from abroad, because of the number of sham marriages.

May indeed email u avant, I don't have the address tho. It doesn't seem like pressure, but I'm open to the fact that I might be being used - doesn't seem like it but I know me even better than u and dave do!

The naivete lies in the fact that I feel I am doing it for love also. Both ways. I don't want to lose him so soon by him losing his visa. But of course I am starved of love so perhaps reading too much into it.

Thank you avant

I have searched and cannot find emaill addresses for moderators. Where do I look, please?

As moderators we can see your E-mail address, so I'll E-mail you.

Speaking of emails did you get my email back Avant?

Thank you avant, much appreciated. I know you can see my address and my weird password also

Shall I get married? - Dutchie
Hello HF I hope things work out for you.You sound like a good person.What is love?Often a word.I have been married for 43 years yeah a long time.Still good mates with my wife we had our ups and down like everybody does,in my case I came from Holland so had to adapt.Hope it works out for you just be carefull once bitten twive shy thingy.

Thanks to you all, again sorry that i don't often appear, as it was such a private thing. Having listened to you all, and to myself, the question is now a non-question. You guys deserve an explanation so here it is - I went cynical and maybe a little cold. (don't think so but maybe). Maybe the culture difference too great, i don't know. Anyway I am me and I cannot change. I think maybe he couldnt handle that. I actually have no idea what went so wrong but it's over. I have told him I will always be his friend if he ever needs one. He is so offended that he doesnt even want that just now. That is the end of this story.

Shall I get married? - 1litregolfeater

Yes, why not

Shall I get married? - Collos25

I have been married three times get on well with my two previous wifes,I would not have missed the experience for anything enjoyed every minute of it,life is short and it can be sweet and exciting or just plain boring you make it of it what you want just have no regrets on your death bed and don't listen to idiots who have never done anything ever exciting in their lives.

I have been married three times get on well with my two previous wifes,I would not have missed the experience for anything enjoyed every minute of it,life is short and it can be sweet and exciting or just plain boring you make it of it what you want just have no regrets on your death bed and don't listen to idiots who have never done anything ever exciting in their lives.

Just wana reply to u and the other guy. Because u are so right. You know exactly what Ive been talking about, and people who have have had more conventional lives cant understand.

I want life exciting. And I want no regrets.

Everything I have done, really no regrets cos im proud of my boys.

One's gona be a household name, the other, i duno yet but a doctor or someone that finds a way to stop cancer or something.

Sometimes you have to give up something of yourself to let those after you do what they need to do. It doesn't come easy but that's what i do. No more silly relationships for me. And since that was the first in ten years that won't be hard!

Thanks. I can't be boring. Wish i could. Can only carry on as i am. Bit wild, don't know where that came from but ive tried to control it and cant. So, wild, mad and free.