jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - bananastand

Now look here you chaps. Over the past week or so I've been looking at second hand cars in the £6000 to £9000 bracket at franchises and well established dealers. When I most politely address the matter of warranty, they all dismiss what we all read in the Telegraph every Saturday, namely that they are legally obliged to guarantee their vehicles for 6 months after the sale. One today in Southport said it was "a load of rubbish" and that they warranted their cars for a month, or "mumf" as he put it. But they might be able to throw in another three months. Maybe. It's more or less the same story everywhere. Everywhere I've been anyway. What in tarnation is going on here? Are they ignorant, lying, or, heaven forbid, actually right?

HJ is most unequivocal on the matter as I am sure the keen reader will not need reminding.

From what I read, I could just smile and say nothing when I get my one mumf guarantee and then "see 'em in court" if anything falls over, but who needs the extra stress? Thanking you.

jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - NARU

Sounds like little confidence in their product!

They are not obliged to give a third-party warranty, but they are bound by the sale of goods act. But ... if they're wriggling before purchase I'd look elsewhere!

jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - motorprop

this is a very relevant query - Bought an 08 reg van 2 weeks ago from a dealer, paid VAT , bank transfer etc , dealer said ' if anything goes wrong in Ist week etc ' - Didn't want to sour atmosphere - but what if something major goes wrong in 2 months , can they deny liability ? ( provided no negligent usage and other such caveats )

jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - Dwight Van Driver

No. If fault within 6 months of purchase then deemed to have been present at time of purchase unless they can prove otherwise.

dvd

jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - madf

If their attitude is like that when they are trying to SELL a car, imagine what it will be like when you are trying to get them to remedy a fault after you have bought..

Buy from people who are not crooks or shysters or both...

I've not bought many secondhand cars in the past 10 years (2) but never had that attitude... Maybe they don't want to sell to you? :-)

Edited by madf on 17/08/2011 at 15:38

jeep - bona fide dealers denying warranty over 1 month - bananastand

Now then, it seems I have failed to discern the niceties of the issue.

The dealer is at liberty to offer whatever WARRANTY he wants. This will vary in cover and length, but I think the minimum is a month.

HOWEVER - this is not the same as one's protection in law. Trading Standards have told me that if there is a fault with the car in the first 6 months then the burden of proof is with the DEALER to show that the fault is non-existent/fair wear and tear/my own fault.

It is indeed treated as a pre-existing fault and the dealer must make it good.

After 6 months the burden of proof is on me.

Thanking you.