VW Passat TDI CR 170 DSG Estate - air-con failure - stone damage or dealer con? - MikeHP0

My car has suffered air-con failure. I tried to get it reg-assed at my friendly local independent. There's a tiny leak so he wasn't able to help. His parting shot was "watch the main dealer stone-chip damage scam".

Lo and behold, the dealer calls.

"stone chip damage to the compressor - £500 non-warranty repair, please!"

I mention my independent dealer's comments to the main dealer service receptionist who took great offence and had promised photos.

Compressor damage? Isn't the compressor a dirty great engine-driven lump attached to the block? Now, heat exchanger damage I could understand. Why are they left exposed under the gaping snouts of modern cars? Why not fine mess grill to save damage?

any thoughts? Is it worth taking this up with VW? We run a mini-fleet of 3 VWs.

VW Passat TDI CR 170 DSG Estate - air-con failure - stone damage or dealer con? - elekie&a/c doctor

So is it the compressor that has failed?Bolted to the engine and driven by the poly vee belt,(very common failure on late Vag models )or has the condenser (the a/c rad at the front)sprung a leak ?Possible but less likely me thinks.hth

VW Passat TDI CR 170 DSG Estate - air-con failure - stone damage or dealer con? - injection doc

Pump failure very common, these do not suffer stone chips though !

It wouldnt suprise me if they change the pump under warranty but fit a condensor and charge you for stone damage ! that way they double their money !

Err on the side of caution

The independant should of been able to advise you where the leak was !

I would go back to the indy for him to confirm where the leak was !