Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - NowWheels

Can anyone help me to choose a battery charger for use on my two vehicles: a Nissan Almera 1.8, and a Toyota Hiace campervan?

The Almera is mostly used only for short journeys, and stands idle for periods of up to 2 months when I am off in the camper van. The Hiace stands idle for most of the winter.

I stupidly let the HIace batteries crun flat a few times last winter by not taking it out for a weekly run, and had to replace both its big batteries: ouch £££.

Last week, I have returned from over 2 months away in the Hiace, to find that my Almera battery was flat. I got the rescue people out to restart it, but it has flattened again.

I want to get a charger which will do three things:

1. fully charge a flat battery;
  2. recondition a damaged battery;
  3. trickle charge a battery while the vehicle is not in use.

So I need some sort of smart charger, and have been looking to see what's available. The Hiace has two big batteries for its engine (separate leisure battery) totally 150Ah, so I need a fairly big charger.

So far I have found three which appear to be suitable:

• Smartcharge 16, about £70
  • Optimate 6, about £90
  • Ctek MS7, about £100

So far as I can see, they all do much the same job. The Ctek and Optimate are both handily compact, while the heavy and bulky Smartcharge seems to have a clearer set of controls. Reviews suggest that the Optimate's controls are a bit obscure.

Any suggestions which I should go for?

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - Peter D

Is the Hiace campervan with two batteries a 24 volt system or 12 volt and a seperate leisure battery. Regards Peter

Peter, it's a 12-volt system throughout, with 3 batteries in all. The engine has a pair of ~70Ah batteries wired in parallel (rather than in series), so there is a lot of 12v grunt for starting ... and the leisure battery is a separate 12v job.

I'm not worried about charging the leisure battery -- I have other ways of looking after it.

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - bathtub tom

How old are the batteries in each vehicle?

With the intermittent use you've described, three years could be all you could expect from a battery.

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - Cris_on_the_gas

Just get any battery charger and it will do the job you want. A battery will only take enough charge that it needs and the amount of charge will decrease to zero when the battery is fully charged.

No need to spend £ 90 upwards just go to a motor accessory shop and get a 12V battery charger

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - gordonbennet

If you can borrow one for a few weeks to tide you over, keep an eye on Lidl's website, they often sell their own smart charger one of which i have, it seems to be identical in everything except casing to my CTEK 3600, identical controls and switching and works just as well, be on ther doorstep when they are for sale.

The big difference it's only about £13 or so.

For that price you could buy two, disconnect the join between the twin batteries and keep them semi permanently on charge when not on use...arguably they would then be both fully charged, whereas wired permanently in parallel one could be running down more than the other and not getting fully charged.

Smart chargers are great in that you can simply leave them to look after your battery permanently whilst the vehicle isn't being used.

Just get any battery charger and it will do the job you want. A battery will only take enough charge that it needs and the amount of charge will decrease to zero when the battery is fully charged.

Cris, I want an intelligent charger for two resaons:

1. To desulphate neglected batteries using pulse charging
  2. So that I can leave it on without wasting power

As far as i can see, the sort of cheap charger that is really just a transformer with leads won't do that

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - Cris_on_the_gas

Dear NowWheels

You will not be able to desulphate a modern car battery using pulse charging. It will just lead to a build up of sulphate on the plates which will cause a short circuit and damage the cell

If you do not want to waste power then why not use a cheap time switch to charge for say 30 minutes a day.

good luck, after all it your money your spending

You will not be able to desulphate a modern car battery using pulse charging. It will just lead to a build up of sulphate on the plates which will cause a short circuit and damage the cell

Cris, are you sure about that? The charger manufacturers all advertise the pulse-charging function ... and if it is no use on car batteries, then what's the point?

I have taken the plunge and ordered a Ctek CTE-XS7000 from Amaazon. Seems like the previous model of the MXS7, but it cost £75 including delivery, which is usefully cheaper.

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back on how it works.

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - Mr Joe

I'll report back on how it works.

How did it work?... I've got a Hiace with twin-start batteries that I use as a camper in the summer and am about to add a leisure battery, so this info is right up my street!

Toyota Hiace - Which battery charger? - Andrew-T

I'll report back on how it works.

How did it work?... I've got a Hiace with twin-start batteries that I use as a camper in the summer and am about to add a leisure battery, so this info is right up my street!

I don't think you can expect an answer 12 years later !!