Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - jamie745

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14370085

I watched this on BBC Look East and it was accompanied by a clip supposedly filmed today of a group of young children maybe around 6 or 7 all running under the barrier just as it comes down to all sprint across. Add that to the clips we've all seen of mothers running across with their prams and the guy who vaulted the barrier and lost his shoe etc

How stupid are these people?!

Will this monitoring idea work? If so do you want it to be used in your area?

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - unthrottled

You need something to spice up life in East Anglia. It's more benign that shooting people or murdering prostitutes.

I used to run across level crossings as a child. That's what kids have always done. Most of us got away with it; tragically, a few don't. That's life.

This smacks of an excuse for plod to spend hours sitting in a panda car eating doughnuts, rather than a terrifying new public safety hazard.

The fact is though these kids are the ones from the new Generation of children brought up to think its ok to walk in front of moving vehicles. Like the schoolkids who aimlessly wander in the road without looking etc. Looking at some of the nearmiss clips its obvious people are extremely thick and need something to stop them doing such stupid things. I'd love to agree with you that we dont need it, we shouldnt need it to be frank, but with people like that around we probably do.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - Collos25
Have you nothing better to do than post non events and make wild asumptions about newspaper readers very childish.

Have you nothing better to do than read and post replies to my non-events? Very childish.

Edited by jamie745 on 03/08/2011 at 00:06

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - pda

Collos, if you knew East Anglia very well, you'd know that the problem with our level crossings is not a non event.

The OP obviously realises that.

Pat

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - Avant

This is a perfectly legitimate topic for debate, but not for personal comments.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - veryoldbear

I live in a village in Oxfordshire, and we have two level crossings. These are on the main London - Bristol line and trains hammer along a very long and straight stretch past us. People don't mess with trains here ... a full HS125 at top speed has a substantial kinetic energy and can't stop on a sixpence. Incidentally, after you've lived here for a few years you don't actually hear the trains, it gets sort of filtered out ...

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - madf

Eventually Darwinism rules.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - TeeCee

Oddly enough, I was thinking about this the other day on seeing the safety ad on TV where the bloke loses patience at the crossing.

There is a simple answer.

Over here, the lights flash, the bells ring and then the barriers go down. Somewhen within 30 seconds later a train passes and then they go up as soon as its tail is through the crossing. If two trains pass in opposite directions within a couple of minutes, the barriers go up, a couple of cars pass through and then they go back down again.

Everyone knows that there is no "wait time" to gamble with, there's almost nothing to be gained by beating the thing and that trying to do so is very likely to ensure that your journey ends at the mortuary. As a result, nobody plays silly beggars.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - veryoldbear

Where's "Over here"? Is it "Over there"?

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - happy polo

The problem with that concept is that it allows precious little room for error or problem. If a train doing Xmph is only a few seconds away when it transpires that somebody or something is stuck on the crossing, or there is a fault with the barriers, etc etc, then that train is not going to stop. So, as much as it is frustrating when you sit at the barriers waiting, it is ultimately happening to protect your life!

As for the East Anglia situation, sooner or later some little idiot doing this will get hit by a train and splattered across his friend's faces. Not nice, but you'll probably find this craze will come to a fairly abrupt end around about then. Very little sympathy here for people who mess with railways I'm afraid, I just hope that the train driver on that day is one of the more emotionally resilient chaps.

Edited by happy polo on 03/08/2011 at 14:57

Thats the side we never stop to consider, the impact on the train driver who ends up with no choice but to see someones face splattered on their windows and slide down the front of the train. Many train drivers have had to leave their jobs due to the emotional distress of what happened to someone who walked in front of their train. The clips of people skipping the crossings never cease to amaze me, the one with the woman running under the barrier with a baby in a pushchair is the one which made me think certain people shouldnt be allowed to breed.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - TeeCee

Trouble is, that's a fallacious point.

It doesn't matter how long something's stuck there for, the train doesn't get to see it any earlier! No reasonable delay could reliably cover the time taken for a warning to get to the train via the emergency services.

Trying to "allow time" here is actually counterproductive. If you know very well that the train will be here in seconds, you don't try to push the car off the crossing, you just get out, move away and wait for it to be scrapped for you a few seconds later. If there's usually a delay, you might be tempted to have a go. One problem.......how long is the delay and how long should you try for......? Having a guarantee that the thing will arrive any second means everyone is focussed on getting out of the way first and thinking about it afterwards.

Unfortunatley to have any guarantee of any train arriving anywhere at any specific time you'd need to fix so much of Britains creaking train inferstructure.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - Trilogy

jamie, I must keep an eye out for you in East Anglia. I believe bobbin said you're from Suffolk. I must have a look to see what colour your S-Type is then I can wave. :)

And what will you be waving from? lol

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - unthrottled

When is she due back?

Just keep an eye out for every one who waves at you. One will be me. :) Bobbin said you were in Suffolk. There can't be too many S-Types like yours.

Police To Monitor East Anglia Level Crossings - jc2

I've seen a car do a three-point turn on a level crossing on the mainline into East Anglia-mind you that was in Essex-about three hundred yards from East Anglia.Couldn't see point-there's an underpass for cars.

Edited by jc2 on 05/08/2011 at 09:08

Just keep an eye out for every one who waves at you. One will be me. :) Bobbin said you were in Suffolk. There can't be too many S-Types like yours.

People dont often wave at me. I wonder if that means nobody likes me. Theres more S-Types round here than you'd think actually ive seen four this week, one of them in a very nice champagne colour it must be said, and a blue one which sounded like a tractor (diesel). Now im noticing them everywhere and its really annoying!

Am I correct in thinking yours is black? And is it pre or post facelift? I tend to see more in silver than any other colour. There was one going cheap in BSE at an indi dealer but the centre part of the back cover had silver tape on it. Surprisingly his 10 year old MGFs were not much cheaper.

Its a black 54 plate. Yes silver is pretty common, well the S Type came out around 2000 when everything was silver wasnt it.

BTW there's a turquoise blue metallic one with private plate in east Suffolk.