Insurance legal cover - mm707

Is the insurance legal cover is worth having ? , latest renewal includes it at almost £30

I'm thinking that if I have a claim I just contact the insurance and they sort it out anyway whether I have it or not ?

Insurance legal cover - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm sure more legal-minded people will correct/confirm this, but legal cover is a sort of top-up to your car cover that is meant to pay out for costs incurred which are not covered by the car policy if you're making a claim, like travel expenses and so on (or say your car is smashed up and you had your laptop in there and it is damaged as a result of the crash). Insurers always 'tick the box' for you - I always remove it. (You might be able to use it to claim back your excess though. Can someone tell me if that's right?)

Insurance legal cover - GazNicki

I think it has to do with Legal Expenses. In the result of a claim the Insurance Company will ask if you want them to instruct a Legal Team on your behalf. If you have the Legal Cover I think the costs are covered by the policy. If you don't then you could be left with a legal bill at the end (which will ultimately come out of any pay out).

The Legal Team are the ones that help you claim back all expenses, loss of earnings, injury compensation, excess, and so on - but their efforts are not free.

Alternatively, there are a number of "No Win No Fee" or even completely free claims companies out there that will help in the event of an accident, but the extra hassle may not always be worth it in the long run.

I'm sure I am not 100% right though, so welcome further explanation from others.

Insurance legal cover - jamie745

Basically it just covers the costs of anything you might need which arent covered under your motor insurance. Such as if you're in an accident and you're injured, the legal cover will pay for your legal advice etc. Without it they'll just write off the car and be done with it, as obviously you're insuring the car, not specifically yourself. Its worth having as in moderately lengthy cases as you dont get much change from 100 grand from solicitors and that is the typical value you're covered to.

Insurance legal cover - Jes

So does it need to be tied to each individual policy ? For example, I have purchased Insurance Legal Cover for my car insurance, for my wife's car insurance and for house insurance - If I paid for it once (my car insurance), would it cover the other two ?

Insurance legal cover - jamie745

If both you and your wifes car is under the same car insurance policy (say a multicar policy with Admiral for instance) then yes you pay once to cover both. Most home insurance policies wont cover legal bills for anything which happens outside of the home, obviously. So no you cant pay legal protection to ensure your car and expect it to cover the other two, its to cover anything not covered under the motor insurance which occurs through use of that car.