Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - TriciaA

Can someone please tell me where we stand regarding the purchase of the above car. A fault has developed, the engine management light came on Tuesday, we bought it on the Sunday. It will be looked at today and hopefully we will have more information about the problem. It's my daughter's car, she paid £1600, the asking price was £1675, bought from a car dealer.There appears to be no oil leaks, however when the coolant is, the bottle seems to have a lot of grainy substance around the inside (Possible additive?) How does she stand as far as getting a refund, because my fear is, if there is something major wrong with it, it could cost ££££'s to put it right.Many thanks.

Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - unthrottled

No.

Take it back to the dealer and ask him to investigate the source of the EML. Hopefully, it'll be quite minor and the dealer will put it right. Your rights with a £1600 car are not that comprehensive-otherwise it would be worth more than £1600.

Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - Dwight Van Driver
There is
Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - TriciaA

We took the car back last night, much to the displeasure of the car dealer. Our local garage ran a few tests and it seems one of the faults is a faulty O2 sensor and possibly a headgasket problem. The dealer told us the sensor was not his problem and that he doesn't deal in electrics. Apparently he said he will have the car tested today and see whats going on. My thoughts on this, and I could be jumping the gun here, but I feel, it will be given back in the same state as it was when we took it down last night. As far as a refund, well, certainly out of the question we were told, but he will test the car. I mentioned the dreaded 'Trading Standards' and he totally flipped and became very abusive.We await his phone call today.

Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - harry55

Hi. Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended). key legislation for you to get a full/partial refund or repair. You have to act immediately or within a reasonable period, ie within 6 months. The car seems not to be of satisfactory quality and not as described (Trade Descriptions Act). i contacted Consumer Direct and got my car fully repaired/faults fixed within 4 days. the dealer even offered me a full refund but I liked the car I chose. Good luck!

Audi A3 1.6 2001 - Secondhand car bought 4 days ago (Refund) - bonzo dog

Hi Tricia, if the fault has occurred 2 days after purchase it is certainly presumed under Sale Of Goods Act to have been present at purchase.

You have given the dealer the opportunity to fix it & so need to assume he will do so.

If he does not do so then yes you can reject the car (in my opinion) but you may need to get Trading Standards involved &/or go legal.

Good luck