Toyota Prius - Toyota Prius 3 test - kentdave1973
Hi everyone
Just thought I share my thoughts on the Toyota Prius I rented last weekend. I normally drive a Ford Mondeo 2004 - 2 litre Petrol. I apologise if anything I say has been mentioned before. I'm going to compare it to my own car which may not be fair.

Fuel consumption
Definitely a strong point. Driven at normal motorway speeds it averaged 56 mpg over 300 miles. My Mondeo would do around 35 to 37. I was driving at 75 indicated - the GPS showed the speedo to be over-reading by 5 mph.

Space
Boot tiny, otherwise similar room for passengers and seats comfortable

Gadgets
Very good Sat Nav, head up display is a distraction to be honest. Cruise controls on a stalk. I prefer them on the steering wheel as they are on the Mondeo. Also felt on such a new car there should be a way to see what speed is set and a speed limited should be included too. No way to see the engine revs.

Driving

Now this car is best for being driven sedately in town. Yes it cruised easily and quietly at 75 on the motorway. However accelerating from roundabouts you can still hear the engine holding high revs as the speed catches up. And if you're going to keep up with traffic you'll have to keep your foot firmly planted. The Mondeo is in it's element powering through the gears. This thing is tortuous while accelerating.

Verdict - nice car but not that fun to drive. Will get a diesel next time.
Toyota Prius - Toyota Prius 3 test - veryoldbear

I shall be interested to see the new "MPV" version when it comes out, but it looks as though it still won't have a bunch of room in the back.

Toyota Prius - Toyota Prius 3 test - TeeCee

From long-term experience:

Fuel: On the money there. The weird bit is when you find that it's milage around town ain't far off what you get on the motorway.

Space: There's quite a bit more storage under the boot floor. In the words of Michael Caine; "Not a lot of people know that.". Presumably "tiny" means "in comparison to the Mondeo" :-) It'll take a weeks shopping, luggage for a family of five (i.e. mine) or (with the seats folded flat) a washing machine and a load of other crud on a dump run. You want to see what "tiny" looks like? Hire a Focus next time. Also here, more bins, cubbies, pockets 'n such than you can physically shake a stick at.

Gadgets: I agree about the cruise control. Not only on a stalk, but one that moves with the wheel at that. Very clever, I am sure. My personal favourite is the GM three-buttons-on-end-of-indicator-stalk setup. Each to his own. I'd add that the bluetooth and phonebook setup is the world's most useless POS[1] and that it's very obvious that the various functions (phone, satnav, stereo etc.) are all seperate bits hastily stuck together. The integration sucks. Biggest joke here is the Voice Control system. "This function is not available on this screen"? Well if you know that, why don't you switch to the place it is valid you useless pile of cr**? This is not helped by the fact that its understanding of what I just said[2] is rather worse than that of my late, deaf Grandmother. Reversing camera is excellent, autopark is a worthless gimmick but you have to have the latter to get the former.

Driving: You get used to it. The "always first off the lights" bit due to the honking levels of torque from nothing is amusing, even if whatever it is that you just embarassed invariably hurtles past 5 seconds later. I wouldn't describe acceleration as tortuous, that's probably an impression caused by the fact it revs its cobs off, but that's an effect of it using its engine at the most efficient revs for the desired power delivery. Once you get used to the fact that it's not doing any harm making that disconcerting "about to explode" noise and learn to ignore it, it's OK. The only really bad bit is the traction control, which works by dumping the breakers on the inverter, producing an effect almost indistinguishable from a Total Failure Of Everything. Handling is everything you'd expect of a vehicle that appears to have reused that godawful asymmetric wishbone front suspension assembly off a Skoda Favorit.

[1] Dear Toyota. Go out and buy a Parrot bluetooth unit. That's how it should work, OK?

[2] Dear Toyota. An antiquated WinMo phone running Microsoft's 25 quid Voice Command package does an infinitely better job. If you paid more than 50p for your version, please fire the idiot that bought it.

Toyota Prius - Toyota Prius 3 test - Ethan Edwards

Poor blue tooth is totally unacceptable on a 21K car. Plus it looks pretty flimsy to me.. Does it have any NCAP ratings?

Toyota Prius - Toyota Prius 3 test - TheOilBurner

5* EuroNCAP with 88% adult occupant protection. Nothing wrong with the safety. Just cheaply made to keep costs and weight down. Otherwise I guess this might be a 30k car?? :)

Interesting comments above about lack of integration on Toyota's infotainment systems. That's the one big area that disappointed me on my old Avensis. Toyota seem to be about 10 years behind on an area where car manufacturers are often slow anyway...