ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - swiss67
Im about to buy a focus 1.8 ghia 2006 .but today ive heard about possible dpf problems.
I have been told by a mechanic at the showroom that a dpf is not fitted on this model and only on 2009 models only,however im not sure who to believe.
Can anyone advise me if a dpf is fitted on a 1.8 ghia? and if so, is it worth me opting out and looking for a petrol model instead?
Cheers
ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - fordmech

he's right about dpf your right about dpf. the later focus is fitted with dpf and when driven correctly will go into dpf regeneration this takes x amount of time or miles to complete and you will not be aware of it, the problem is when you constantly do short journeys this process will not complete so the dpf will try and try again, eventually it will clog up. Now it’s time for your local dealership to have a go, they will hook a lap top and carry out what’s called a static regeneration. This is a regen but without having to drive the car anywhere they basically just sit out in the car park revving the s***e out of the engine, that sounds a bit cruel but it’s all done very safely with the correct software only ford approved technicians are allowed to do this (dpf is a filter fitted into the exhaust system. It catchers the tiny particles of carbon that would otherwise escape into the atmosphere. Dpf’s are a good thing. Eventually all those tiny particles build up and start to block the filter., so the dpf incinerates the s***e. Heres how it does it, on the exhaust stroke of the engine the ecu or engine management computer tells the fuel injector to squirt a little fuel into the cylinder. Because this was done on the exhaust stroke the fuel is pushed into the exhaust system and into the dpf and because the temperature is so high the fuel is ignited thus raising the temp even higher, this cycle continues until the blockage is incinerated out of existence and everyone happy again.) It’s a good system and it works well. The only people in my experience that have a prob is taxi drivers because of all the short journeys.

ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Fordmech, and many thanks for your advice. Could you help us get the best out of what you're saying by using paragraphs? Also we request you not to use words which trigger the swear filter.

Best wishes

Avant (moderator)

ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - jamie745

Although to be fair if i was to mention a football match involving Sc***horpe the swear filter would probably take offence to that also.

Yes, and it's also not a fan of the club managed by Mr Wenger.

Sorry - it's just the way it works: and I think we both know that the word suppressed in Fordmech's post above wasn't a football club....

Yes of course but you used the term 'dont use words which trigger the swear filter' and i'd just like to think you have enough common sense to recognise non-swear words will still trigger the swear filter because it is after all a computer, so therefore its an idiot.

ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - bathtub tom

>>non-swear words will still trigger the swear filter because it is after all a computer, so therefore its an idiot.

Like someone else I could mention?

I wonder if they ride one of those bikes with a very large front wheel and a very small back called a penny f***hing?

Yes, I'm afraid that triggers the swear filter as well !

At least the 1.25d bicycle didn't have a DPF. Any more comments on DPFs which might help the OP?

Yes Avant i feel i can weigh in on this one.

1) The dealer is half right and half wrong. DPF's were fitted to the Focus from 2007 but only on the 1.6 and 2.0litre TDCi models. The 1.8 has never had a DPF as far as im aware. So fear not with your 1.8 option.

2) Theres nothing specifically wrong with DPF's providing they're 'regenerated' properly and the car is maintained well, Mazda have had some serious trouble with theirs but a general rule with most cars is a good blast up an A road usually clears it out well. But as a general rule i'd recommend to avoid them for another 5 odd years, specifically second hand, they'll have them sorted by then.

3) Having said that, in my opinion i'd go for a 2006 2.0 TDCi model if it was my money, without the DPF, but more power, a bit more useful in the real world, that small bit of extra grunt and barely a compromise on fuel economy. The Ghia is a nice spec. The Zetec is a bit stiffer in the suspension and may not be suited to everyone.

4) The petrol engined Focus' are generally a bit cheaper to buy and may have lower mileage but it'd have to be at least a 1.8 to be worthwhile, the 1.6 is just too strained. The diesels pull well and you will get roughly what the claimed fuel economy says, unlike in the petrol ones which tends to do whatever it likes to the gallon depending on if its breezy or sunny or not.

There. Hope i helped.

Edited by jamie745 on 15/08/2011 at 03:28

ford focus 2006 1.8 ghia - dpf problems - 3puddings

I have had DPF problems on my focus especially when I was doing short journeys, the best way to clear it was to blast it up the motorway obeying the speed limit in 4th to get the revs up with the air con on full blast for about 40 minutes. Wynns additive also helped.

The advice I have had from my brother in law who is a mechanic is not to get a car with a DPF if you are doing lots of short journeys as it needs a good run to build up the engine temperature to burn off the particles that collect in the DPF.

Ford recomends that the DPF is replaced after 75k miles which is an expensive event, I plan to get rid of mine before that happens.