Volkswagen Golf IV - Bizarre insurance dispute - Ubermik

I'll try and condense this as much as I can without missing out any important facts, but its the strangest series of events I've ever heard about and am seriously hoping someone can help give me some pointers

The insurance problem is actually happening to a friend, but he struggles to stay calm when talking to people about it so he asked if I would try and make some headway for him

In brief here is the series of events

In 1986 he got a 5 year ban for drink driving

In 1995 he re passed his test and was re-issued with a license

In 2005 his insurance company said he needed to swap his license for a picture style one as his paper one was out of date

He applied for the picture license which the DVLA sent out but then the insurance company refused to insure him anyway claiming that he had outstanding convictions which had expired, but that he had then never retaken his test

When he asked about the alleged convictions as he hadnt (to his knowledge) had any convictions since retaking his test, the insurance company said the DVLA themselves had informed them that he should have surrendered his licence in 1997 and re-applied for his test in 2002

The same DVLA that a month earlier had sent him out his new photo driving licence

The insurance company wont give anymore details other than what I have written here, nor will they provide a copy of the letter the DVLA is alleged to have sent them

As a result he has had to state that he has been refused insurance each year since, which has meant despite being in his 40's he has been paying more insurance than the average 20 year old

He has tried to clear it up before but has never got anywhere with it which isnt helped by him having a short fuse, so with the insurance price hike this year he has asked me to see if someone more reasoned can unravel the mess

I was planning to start with the DVLA themselves which means going into one of their offices where I am hoping a complete driver history should be able to be obtained in hard copy including all convictions, driving tests and the current licence status

The only "odd" thing I have noticed whilst going through all of the paperwork he has acquired over the years is that on his second licence it lists the date he passed his test, then the date the license was issued but then also lists a date 10 months after that it should be returned (that was on there when the license was first printed incase that isnt clear rather than being added later)

I've never seen a licence issued with a note to return it 10 months later before and that does seem a bit strange by itself

Especially as it was around 10 years after that licence was issued that the DVLA sent him out a new photo ID even though they apparently told his insurance company he hadnt had a valid licence for the previous 8 years

Has anyone else come across anything this silly before?

And even if not, has anybody got any advice on the order I should approach things, and anyone other than the DVLA, the insurance ombudsman and the insurance company themselves that might be worth talking to or involving in the process?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer

Mike

Volkswagen Golf IV - Bizarre insurance dispute - SlidingPillar

You'll have a problem getting information as you are not the person concerned. I keep hitting this as I'm deaf, and vertually no-one official will accept even my brother's words.

The licence bit in your account is odd though, a license valid in 1995 did not need replacing with a photocard in 1998 (they were introduced then, but paper ones still remain valid if details not changed). DVLA do issue licences for short periods, but I thought those were all medical restricted ones.

If the pair of you can go to a local DVLA office, I think that's a good start as they are usually very helpful. Sounds like either the DLVA records are needed, or corrections applied to them. Get the local office on your side - it's much easier that way.

Volkswagen Golf IV - Bizarre insurance dispute - bathtub tom

>>In 2005 his insurance company said he needed to swap his license for a picture style one as his paper one was out of date

Why? Had he changed address and not got a new licence to show his new address? If so could a prosecution have been sent to his old address to which he didn't reply. If so he may well have 'lost' his licence. It often happens.

>>Why? Had he changed address and not got a new licence to show his new address? If so could a prosecution have been sent to his old address to which he didn't reply. If so he may well have 'lost' his licence. It often happens.

Sorry, there is a lot of info so what I see as the important facts are hard to see

The insurance company claimed in 2005 that the DVLA said his licence had lapsed and he hadnt retaken his test in 2002

But a few months before that he had applied for AND been sent his new photo ID licence

If his licence had indeed lapsed for any reason, even a change of address then I'd doubt they would have sent him the new one 8 years after the insurance company claims the DVLA said his previous one had ended

Also, the paper part of the new licence shows all previous convictions which perfectly matched the ones on his previous paper licence with nothing shown for the year 1997 at all.

The alleged spent conviction should have been added onto the new licence issued in 2005, but only his 1985 ban, then his test and licence re-issue in 1995 were shown as he had never applied to have the earlier ones removed

Edited by Ubermik on 19/07/2011 at 18:32

You'll have a problem getting information as you are not the person concerned. I keep hitting this as I'm deaf, and vertually no-one official will accept even my brother's words.

If the pair of you can go to a local DVLA office, I think that's a good start as they are usually very helpful. Sounds like either the DLVA records are needed, or corrections applied to them. Get the local office on your side - it's much easier that way.

That was the first thing I was going to check when I have a day off work actually, for some reason I had gotten the thought into my head that detailed driver information couldnt be discussed or viewed at regional offices and could only be done in Swansea.

Although at face value that "sounds" a bit stupid, it is the DVLA after all, the organisation where the illogical, irration and plain old stupid is often in abundance lol

If a local office can do everything we would need that is much better as Gloucester is much much closer than Swansea plus it also tends to be empty most of the time unlike birmingham which often has long and slow moving queues of non english speaking taxi drivers