MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - minifan

Looking at buying a replacement [diesel or petrol] for my 1st generation supercharged MCS. Can you advise on:

1, (a) Would metallic paint finish add / detract from a future resale value (b) How does it compare to conventional finish for repairs etc?

2. Does the diesel version (understand it uses 2litre engine from BMW 1-series) have any problems ref DPF - I see there's been lots of discussion on problems with this : are they resolved?

3. If I choose an automatic gearbox: how does this affect resale values - I've had conflicting views from Mini dealers

Many thanks for any help on this.

MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - unthrottled

1.) will add to the value/make the car easier to sell. It is more costly to repair though.

2.) Thought there was only a 1.6 PSA developed diesel on offer? If you have to worry about the DPF coping with regens then diesel will not suit your duty. (The engine in question doesn't have any particular problems in this respect.)

3.) Probably revise them down or at least reduce the potential pool of buyers to a very small field!

An automatic diesel isn't quite what most people have in mind when buy a Mini Cooper!

MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - davmal
There was a 1.4 diesel (?toyota engine?), but that was a few years ago. What age car are you buying?
There was a 1.4 diesel (?toyota engine?), but that was a few years ago. What age car are you buying?

Brand new. They now have 2 litre diesel from BMW 1-series. I'm confused by the DPF discussion - if the DPFs are a real problem, surely they woudn't be offering a 3 year warranty? As usual, it's difficult to trust what the sales people say because their main aim in life is to sell a car!

MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - SteveLee

If you are worried about residuals why on earth buy a new car? It's a mugs' game unless you are buying something very cheap and cheerful in the first place.

MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - davmal
DPF could be covered under the warranty, but I'll bet at the first sign of trouble they will pull out the "it is your driving style" card. I had awful problems with mine, but it was a Mazda and only doing 17,000 miles a year.
don't know if Minis are the same but the oil specified for DPF Mazdas was v expensive.
MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - Ethan Edwards

I think Minifan should buy one without delay. Mini's must be great, thousands upon thousands of hairdressers and junior estate agents can't be wrong and who wouldn't want to be associated with that grouping.

I think Minifan should buy one without delay. Mini's must be great, thousands upon thousands of hairdressers and junior estate agents can't be wrong and who wouldn't want to be associated with that grouping.

I don't know of many hairdressers and junior estate agents who can afford £24k upfront for a car. My hairdresser bought his MINI at auction for £8k. But I value your comment and will seek the advice of these two professions!

If you are worried about residuals why on earth buy a new car? It's a mugs' game unless you are buying something very cheap and cheerful in the first place.

You still have to consider residuals even with a new car - my understanding is that MINI is amongst the best.

MINI Cooper S - Paint - DPF - Automatic - SteveLee

You still have to consider residuals even with a new car - my understanding is that MINI is amongst the best.

"amongst the best"? I'd say they are less bad! Driving a new car out of the showroom burns three+ years of running costs. Within reason I'm lucky enough to be able to afford any car I wish - I'd never buy a bew one unless it was a cheapo city car or something similar I just can't bring myself to waste perfectly good money!.

1.) will add to the value/make the car easier to sell. It is more costly to repair though.

2.) Thought there was only a 1.6 PSA developed diesel on offer? If you have to worry about the DPF coping with regens then diesel will not suit your duty. (The engine in question doesn't have any particular problems in this respect.)

3.) Probably revise them down or at least reduce the potential pool of buyers to a very small field!

An automatic diesel isn't quite what most people have in mind when buy a Mini Cooper!

Thanks for that - grateful for your comment.

Re automatic opinion, I gather there is quite a following for the new 2L diesel especially since you can specify steering wheel paddle change which is quicker than manual stick.