Servicing dilemma - johnnyrev

My 2010 Fiat Doblo is now a year old, so I am thinking about booking it in for a service. The service intervals are 18,000 miles, but even though I have only done 5,000 the Fiat dealer says it needs a yearly service to keep in under warranty.

However, the dealer wants £346 for a full service, whilst Fiat UK (via a phone call) say the dealer should offer a 'cost effective service' for cars that have done a low mileage. The dealer says they can't offer this for my car and will only do a full service.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or advice about where to go for a service or what I should do? £346 seems excessiveafter only 5,000 miles, although I appreciate less miles still needs a service.

Servicing dilemma - Paul G1pdc

Guess you could try and different Fiat dealer and see if they can carry out the cheaper service...and stamp the service book...

but in real terms they have you over a barrel...i.e. you could get a local mechanic to change the oil and filters for £150. But if anything drops of the van then Fiat will say you haven't had the car serviced by them and your warranty is no longer worth the paper its written on....

I think you just have to pay up and wait for the warranty to expire before finding a cheaper place for services...

Servicing dilemma - bathtub tom

I think you'll find that as long as it's serviced to manufacturer's specification with proper parts (ie. Fiat) by a VAT registered garage, then they've got to honour the warranty.

However, if you do need to prove to a main dealer that you've jumped through all the necessary hoops for any warranty work it may be a different story.

Servicing dilemma - cilvilservant

Get the car serviced by an independent, and make sure they use recommended manufacturer's parts. KEEP RECEIPTS.

Legally, your warranty will still be valid. Look at "car warranty" on the "Office of Fair Trading" website.

Servicing dilemma - ForumNeedsModerating

I idly googled a service price & found nothing above £165 for a 1st year service on a Doblo (any engine) for 18K miles/1year - that's a main dealer price too. Your £346 looks very, very high to me - shop around other fiat main dealers.!

Servicing dilemma - jamie745

Yeah there was a big kick up about this sort of thing a couple of years ago when they concluded HP companies can no longer stipulate where you take your car for servicing and nor can warranties be voided by non-main dealer servicings, but warranties can be voided by using non approved parts.

£346? Tell them to jog on.

Servicing dilemma - oldtoffee

SWMBO's 500 had its annual service at 8,000 miles and on booking it in straight away the service department said it would be just a low mileage service not a full service. Still stupidly expensive at £170 but throw in a 4 mile lift to and from work and completed on time to suit SWMBO's shift hours and it's approaching bearable.

Shop around, make 3 or 4 phone calls to main dealers within a 20 mile radius and you'll likely get a better and fairer deal. In the unlikely event you don't, use an independent and make sure they itemise on your receipt genuine Fiat parts ie the correct spec oil, OEM oil filter and the requisite labour charge for an inspection plus any advisories (none I'd hazard a guess!) Let us know here if you got a better deal, good service and where so that others can benefit from your experience. If you have a few minutes let Fiat HQ know of your experience.

Servicing dilemma - daveyjp

A first service is generally little more than an oil and filter change and a look around the vehicle. £150-200 is a general ball park figrue at a main dealer for such work. Your service book will tell you exactly what is required.

Call them back and ask what exactly you get for the amount they are charging.

Servicing dilemma - johnnyrev

Update: rang a couple of other Fiat dealers who also claim they cannot do a low mileage service, only an 18,000 mile service, the cheapest being £330. This includes all sorts of things like new spark plugs, and is the only option on their computer that they can offer!

So I rang the Fiat helpline who insist that a dealer should be able to do a low mileage (below 6,000) service and is getting the service manager of my nearest dealer to phone me. We shall see what happens!

Servicing dilemma - concrete

Over £330 for service on a Fiat. My Skoda Superb 1.9TDi get a full service and some for less than that, and it is a big beast. They are definitely pulling your wire!. Ask Fiat HQ to arrange a low mileage service at a dealers within a 25 mile radius and see what they come up with. If your local dealer won't play ball at all and no other options available then go to a well established and respected independent and make sure they use Fiat parts and conform to Oil spec, keep receipts. Your warranty will be safe but you will lose any goodwill on out of warranty repairs. FIAT is latin for 'Let it be done' and you sure are being. Good luck. Concrete

Servicing dilemma - concrete

Over £330 for service on a Fiat. My Skoda Superb 1.9TDi get a full service and some for less than that, and it is a big beast. They are definitely pulling your wire!. Ask Fiat HQ to arrange a low mileage service at a dealers within a 25 mile radius and see what they come up with. If your local dealer won't play ball at all and no other options available then go to a well established and respected independent and make sure they use Fiat parts and conform to Oil spec, keep receipts. Your warranty will be safe but you will lose any goodwill on out of warranty repairs. FIAT is latin for 'Let it be done' and you sure are being. Good luck. Concrete

Servicing dilemma - Roly93

Wow £346 to service a Fiat !!!!!!!!!

This has cheered me right up now, I thought my Audi A4 was expensive to service !

Servicing dilemma - daveyjp

New spark plugs after a year and less than 10,000 - they are taking the micky. I trust it's a petrol!