Honda Accord 2.0 SE Vtec (1999) (auto) - Engine Management light issues - chivasgirl

Hi there, well I bought my car just over two weeks ago and tbh really do love driving it. It has full Honda service history, 88k miles, loads of paperwork.

After a couple of days and 15 miles the engine management light came on. Dealer agreed to have a garage look at it. Went to garage and typically light went off before I got there!! However, diagnostics showed engine misfire, he checked connections etc and had a look at leads/plugs and they were fine, but thought it could simply be because it had been sat for a while, and did say it was a good tidy car. Take it away, drive for a bit, if light comes back on, bring it back. It did, and so on Friday the dealer confirmed the garage would sort out the engine management light issue and took it back to the garage. They changed the plugs for me (the others were pretty new and leads are new on last service in Feb). Diagnostics then brought up no codes. Garage also advised me to check oil regularly with that engine, I must say I feel very confident about the work they have done and that they are not trying to rip me off, they treated me with respect and showed me everything they did as they did it.

Light stayed off for a couple of days, now it's back on again, engine is idling low (between 100-300rpm) at lights, although I have to admit I don't do many miles, during the week it's only about 4-8 miles a day, and at weekends about 40-50 over the whole weekend, virtually no high speed roads. I phoned the garage again today and he said that he's not sure there is much else he can do particularly with the idling, as no code coming up. I am going to go out onto the motorway tonight as everyone seems to think that might help but would really appreciate anyone's insight as to what to try next! The car has been really well looked after, it has had oxygen sensor replaced a couple of times and the aircon compressor replaced quite early on, but it is a great car that I would be loathe to have to get rid of as I've already got attached to it! :)