Vauxhall rascal 1993 - Is somthing wrong with my rascal steering/tracking - stevej

Ive just bought my 1993 vauxhall rascal, and when driving home was extremely worried around 55/60 on dual carriage way, the whole van seems to jitter around and steering feels realy loose and lite didn't feel like i had a lot of control over what direction we went in. Obviosly i wasnt expecting it to perfrom amazingly on dual carriage ways but it just seems a little to scary maybe im getting a little to nervous about it.

If there is a problem could it be caused by ever of two things 1. the previos owner was running alloys which may not have been apprpriate. 2. he's lowered the suspension at the back with little aluminium blocks which he assures me are easily removed to return it to normal.

At present it has it original wheels on and the aluminium blokes are in, i would have presumed such changed would be to improve road handling, im thinking of putting the alloys back on and giving it another go and see if its a little less scary. Any advice on any of these maters would be much appriated. cheers steve

Vauxhall rascal 1993 - Is somthing wrong with my rascal steering/tracking - Peter.N.

Its almost certain to be a wheel or tyre problem. First check the pressures, over inflation can cause skittishness. If that's OK try swapping the front wheels with the back, its quite likely that they are either out of balance or one tyre is defective. Ply seperation will unbalance them at speed, look carefully for bulges in the tyres. Its unlikely to be tracking but just check the treads on the front for eveness of wear.