Peugeot 406 - Fuel Pump on Peugeot 406 2.1 LX DT - Grecian81

Hi there

Recently the engine my 1997 Peugeot 406 2.1 LX DT has been racing at low revs when sat at lights or in traffic and then the diagnostic light would come on and the engine stop. It would of course restart straight away but then the engine would starting cutting out if coasting in gear when it dropped below 2000 revs. It wouldnt do it all of the time, just some of the time but bit of an annoyance when you discover the lack of power steering and silence when the car is in motion!! Anyway I got it checked out on Tuesday and found out today that the Fuel pump is on its way out and it wouldnt be worth repairing it even with a reconditioned or second hand pump and was told to 'Ditch the car'. Anyway was quoted £800 which I assume is for the parts/labour too but looking at legit websites, Fuel pumps for my type of car average around £100. Is this about right for a replacement pump? Or am I being fobbed off by my mate who has always done loads of work on my car in the past.

Would the stumbling block on replacing my fuel pump be down to having a Keypad Immobilzer on mine? Therefore having to have it reprogrammed etc? Any help and advice miuch appreciated as im just looking for a second opinion as my knowledge is pretty limited. The car runs like a dream for its age and would be a shame to see it go for spares or scrap.

Edited by Grecian81 on 07/07/2011 at 21:43

Peugeot 406 - Fuel Pump on Peugeot 406 2.1 LX DT - Peter.N.

In my opinion the 2.1 PSA engine is the best IDI engine ever made except for the EPIC system used on the Peugeot version. I would be inclined to fit a Bosch mechanical pump from a Citroen XM they last almost forever.

Peugeot 406 - Fuel Pump on Peugeot 406 2.1 LX DT - Grecian81

Oh right so a Bosch Mechanical pump from a Citroen XM would be perfectly fine to fit to my Peugeot then? That sounds interesting to know thanks for that. Will certainly weigh up that option. Any other tips?

Peugeot 406 - Fuel Pump on Peugeot 406 2.1 LX DT - Peter.N.

If you get a Bosch pump you will also need the injector pipes as the Lucas pump has the outputs in different positions, although they can be made to fit the engine won't run - guess how I know! I think that the existing throttle cable will fit the pump other than that I think it should be self explanatory.