Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - stuartl

My van has failed it's MOT on the copper/nickel brake pipes (all of them!) and I am considering doing the job myself. I am a plumber by trade so know my way around a bit of copper and am contemplating doing this myself. Aside of the pipe itself, a flaring tool and the correct unions do I need anything else? Maybe a small hand former for the bends?

Basically if the garage do the work it will make it uneconomical to repair hence the reason I am contemplating doing the job myself!

Any advice welcome, Many Thanks!

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - Peter.N.

Its not really a very difficult job if you can get to everything and all the unions come undone. You can probably get a flaring tool and coil of pipe and fittings from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-633545-Brake-Fuel-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Kit-/170555846311?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27b5ebaea7

And pipe here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-16-BRAKE-PIPE-COPPER-20-FREE-UNIONS-/350474756846?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5199ec62ee

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - gordonbennet

Used to make and replace lots of brake pipes in years gone by, since i've been able to buy newer/better cars i make sure the pipes are well greased/waxoyled and haven't changed one for years.

Anyway, yes it should be a straightforward job on a van like that, probably a simple beam or live rear axle, so easy access.

I used to buy Kunifer brake pipe, very pliable and never had any problems, probably old hat and gone out of business by now.

The worse part of the job will be undoing the connectors and bleed valves without snapping off....give em all a good dose of releasing fluid for a few days before you start.

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - stuartl

Thanks for both the replies. My MOT man did say that somtimes the unions can be on very tight but as suggested I will give them a good spray today and order up some pipe, unions and a flaring tool.

Many thanks, I now have the confidence to tackle the job! Will post back when completed.

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - jc2

Order up some fluid and a one-man bleeder at the same time!

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - jc2

Order up some fluid and a one-man bleeder at the same time!It is possible to get made up pipes as well-eith specifally for that vehicle or roughly to length.

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - piston power

Don't bother with a bending tool use your hands. :-)

Brake pipe on the roll is £8.00 at our motor factors and common brake fittings for the whole system about £5.00 if that.

A eazi bleed is what you want for self working and makes it better than pushing the brake pedal past the seals as it won't have gone that far in the past years.

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - gordonbennet
A eazi bleed is what you want for self working and makes it better than pushing the brake pedal past the seals as it won't have gone that far in the past years.

Agree, cracking bit of kit, but no guarantee one of the several adapter lids will fit the OP's van, i've come across several vehicles that i can't bleed this way.

One way bleeder pipe OK, but i still prefer a piece of clear pipe closing the bleed valve on each up stroke of the brake pedal and watching the resulting fluid coming through as the 'apprentice' does the ups and downs for you...especially satisfying to see nice clean fluid pushing the manky old stuff down the pipe.

Incidentally does anyone remember those one way replacement bleed valves circa the 70's?

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - piston power

Got a orange coloured rubber hose here with a plug in one end and has a hole near the plug the other goes over the bleed nipple and this stops air going back in while your mate pushes the pedal.

The resovoir cap if you drill a hole in it and fit a tyre valve then it can be pressurised to allow self bleeding then release for top ups, a bit of a pain but im used to self working have to do it at work!!

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - madf

Incidentally does anyone remember those one way replacement bleed valves circa the 70's?

yes... Never bought any . Looked as if they could corrode with age...

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - John F

Did you actually see the damage? I thought corroded brake pipes were a thing of the past. Do you drive along a beach? Do you know and trust the garage that 'failed' it?

I haven't replaced brake pipes on any car I have owned since 1967....even my 1980 TR7 still has original pipes - which I ensure do not become corroded.

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - galileo

The OP states these were copper/nickel brake pipes which I would have thought were less subject to corrosion than steel?

Brake pipes still and will corrode as the outer plastic breaks off usually on a bend of the pipe like in wheel arches or over floor pan.

But most have joints so no need to go upto master cylinder.

Saying all that i grease mine have done for 24 years never replaced my own. :-)

Nissan Vanette Cargo 2001 - Replacing corroded brake pipes - how complicated? - 1litregolfeater

Brake pipes are pretty thick and unless they're really bad, all you normally need to rescue them is a good supply of wire brushes, a load of emery paper, cloth is better, some gunky waxoil, some goggles and a day of your life.

I think the thing to aim for is 'no visible signs of corrosion'. You may find a place where corrosion is quite bad, extra thick and murky waxoyl is deployed here.