Honda Accord 2.0i SE VTec (auto) 1999 - What's fair - after purchase query, used car - chivasgirl

Hi there, first time I've posted on here, but wish I'd seen this forum when I had my beloved import Eunos Roadster the last 9 years!

I have recently purchased a 1999 T Honda Accord 2.0i auto. MOT til Feb, FHSH, 85k miles, full electrics and leather. Last service Feb 2011.

Picked the car up Saturday, filled it up and had done about 15-20 miles when the engine warning light came on. Phoned the dealer who put me in touch with the garage that does work for him and I took it there yesterday. Of course when I started it up after it sitting at work for 6 hours, the light didn't come on again... typical!

Diagnostics showed misfire on no. 3 cylinder, checked the plugs and leads for all cylinders (no problems, and they are all quite obviously new - done in Feb at last service). He reckoned that it is probably because it has been sat for a couple of months during very wet weather and hasn't been driven more than 200 miles since Feb. Suggested that I give it a few miles and see if the light comes back on and stays on in which case he'll replace the plugs and leads. Light did flicker on and off a couple of times after I'd got the revs up a bit some open road, but went off again after couple of mins.

However, garage picked up that the aircon isn't working, I hadn't even tried it yet. My question is, what should I realistically be expecting the dealer to do about this, if anything. I have had the car 5 days now. I feel I paid a pretty fair price, but it was sold with AC. Should I expect the dealer to contribute / pay for it / do nothing? If the general feeling is that I should swallow the cost and get it sorted, then that's fair enough, but I would appreciate some guidance! I *hate* negotiating!!!

Thanks in advance.
Chivasgirl

Edited by chivasgirl on 29/06/2011 at 10:22

Honda Accord 2.0i SE VTec (auto) 1999 - What's fair - after purchase query, used car - unthrottled

It's so easy to check too! It'll need a regas which will be about £40-£50. If it was advertised with air con, then it should work.

Legally, it's a very grey area on a car of that age. Cars must be sold in roadworthy condition unless specfically for spares or repair. The Sale of Goods act is also unclear because although it states that a product or service should be 'fit for purpose', it also makes allowances for the age of the car and the price that it was purchased for. Since you probably bought the car for maybe 10% of its original RRP, and it is 11-12 years old, is it reasonable to expect a car to be in 'as new' condition?

All you can do is take a deep breath, take the car back to the dealer, smile sweetly and see what he says!

Honda Accord 2.0i SE VTec (auto) 1999 - What's fair - after purchase query, used car - chivasgirl

Thank you unthrottled. I think if I had known the AC wasn't working I might have tried to knock £50 off the price I paid, which was to be fair a pretty good price. I have paid £825 for it, it was advertised at £875 but didn't have any tax on it. But it did say it had air con so I expected it to work, it wasn't brought to my attention that it wasn't.

Thanks for your input, I just wanted to see what other people thought was fair in the scheme of things. I wonder whether it would be reasonable to ask them to pay for it if it is anything more than regassing, as I see regassing as something that would have to be done anyway every so often, but if there is a mechanical problem with the AC that's a different matter...?

Honda Accord 2.0i SE VTec (auto) 1999 - What's fair - after purchase query, used car - unthrottled

Cross that bridge when you come to it! You might want to move the question to 'legal'. It's more than likely to be a £50 regas though.

How do I move this to the legal thread?! I had actually meant to post in the general section but obviously didn't check properly before I posted it!!

I think best move then is to phone garage and ask them to check whether it is just a regas and if it's any more than that, see if the dealer will assist in any way. Otherwise I will have to just leave it until I can afford to do anything about it - the cancellation of my previous insurance and the extras I've had to fork out which I hadn't expected have left me a bit short!!

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated.