Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - Cam Belt - billyj

18 months agon i had the headgasket fixed on my Vectra B "S" reg. On the advise of the garage i also had a new water pump fitted and the cam belt changed.

The cam belt snapped on the motorway this week when i was doing about 60 so i expect a fair bit of damage.

The garage is telling me that a number of things could have caused the belt to brake and something could have seezed, it will cost over £480 to put right.

I know i am over 12 months which is what i would expect a warranty to cover but i have only done about 10k miles in it.

Is it just bad luck or do i have any grounds in getting the garage to repair it free of charge?

Any advice?

Vauxhall Vectra B facelift - Cam Belt - RT

Which engine is it?

Failure of the belt itself or water pump bearing / tensioner bearing / follower bearing will all cause the same disastrous result.

I think you'll need to be brave and accept it as bad luck - I know how hard that is as we had to scrap an otherwise sound Astra when the water pump failed, breaking the belt and wrecking the engine.

It's a 2 litre ecotec

I thoughts i had covered everything b y changing the water pump and cam belt when i had the head gasket done?