Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion Rear Shocks Serious Fluid Leak - 12345oncei

I was going to be buying a Ford Fusion on Saturday - subject to new MOT.

I have had a quick squizz at the VOSA mot database as i have a copy of the V5 and most recent MOT provided by the seller.

It has failed the MOT this morning for this:

-Registration plate lamp bulb not working (1.1.C.1c)

-Nearside Rear Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)

-Offside Rear Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)

Is this A) Expensive to fix and B) Could it be an indication of further issues to follow?

It is a 2003 03 1.4 tdci

As always appreciative of any advice/help.

Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion Rear Shocks Serious Fluid Leak - unthrottled

Shock absorbers are fairly inexpensive. It's interesting that the rears have gone first-unless the fronts have already been replaced. If all 4 shocks have gone then either the original shocks were rubbish-or the car has been been driven hard over rough roads. If it's the latter expect the rest of the suspension to be in poor condition.

Thanks unthrottled. I am not too sure what to do now.

I will see what the dealer says, (if anything) and make a decision from there. I didn't notice anything when I drove it and I took it for a long drive (should I have?)

Ford Fusion - Ford Fusion Rear Shocks Serious Fluid Leak - unthrottled

Well if the steering doesn't pull to one side, there's no throbbing, or drumming, or clicking sounds when you turn the wheel then I wouldn't worry too much. What are the tyres like? Unduly heavy shoulder wear can indicate worn susension components-but simple under inflation could also do that!

A car of 8 years can't really be expected to be pristine. Go with your gut instinct. If it feels a nice tidy car-it probably is.

I think my family are rapidly getting fed up with me rejecting cars, so I certainly don't want to reject this one without good reason :P

The tyres all looked good to me and it felt ok on a drive, I must admit that I did not scrutinise them all rigorously but looked to have a good level of tread and even wear. That's not to say that they might not long have been changed.

I had read that Fusions are a little bouncy at the back and I did hear the odd knock (but this was one or two in the whole drive of about 20 miles). I put it down to the spare cover just being placed and not fixed as they normally are.

I appreciate that at this age things will go wrong with it and I can't expect it to be 100%, but by the same token I don't want to buy a money pit or something that is literally drawing it's last breath. I am really after 2 yrs of life out of it for the price and if it does that I will be reasonably pleased.

I should add that I did not detect any drag - hard to tell at times though because the roads I drove it on had quite a camber. Also did not hear any throbbing, or drumming, or clicking sounds and I did turn the radio and fans off to have a listen for a good part of the drive (although the roads were not that bendy and i only took in a few loops of roundabouts).

Spoke to dealer and without any need for cajouling offered up the details of the MOT fail and that the shocks have been replaced.