2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - bjp11

Good People

After reading thro various threads on the subject of exchanging my Lambda oxygen sensor on my Accord it has become a minefield - I am now more confused than ever and have taken this liberty of asking you for help

You are the genuine experts and not wishing to make mistakes when purchasing a replacement sensor (expensive ones it appears they would be) I would appreciate your advice and guidance

Firstly - I am in the process of purchasing a OBD scanner and have eyeballed this particular model: U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD Code Tester from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B001CBBY7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308217881&sr=8-1

Do you reckon this one is OK or would you suggest an alternative?

Once confirmed that it is indeed the sensor I wish to make sure that I purchase the correct one (hopefully an alternative to the very expensive OEM)

Let me provide to you what I consider relevant details:

Car Model Code: LU2

Car Model: 2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO; 1997 CC

VIN Number: SHHCG96401U201683

Engine No: F20B6-E304115

Present Oxygen Sensor Details:
I have taken the details from the present DENSO sensor as follows:

DU1 11B21 192400-1001 with THREE wires (white, black and green)
Can anyone tell me what these particular coloured wiring functions are for?

Confusion reigns!! – for instance when I search the WWW for the above sensor I get a description from www.lambdasensor02.co.uk for 192400-1001 showing FOUR wires with a price of GBP180 – really expensive!!

They say that this sensor is suitable for ACCORD MK 7 2.0 (CH7) and ACCORD MK 7 2.0 I ??? – not my model I think???

Can anyone please advise me the following:

1) Where will I get the correct sensor?

2) Considering the above details - are there any alternative sensors and part numbers to look for – I have gone round in circles chasing the likes of DENSO numbers 234-9014 and 234-925 etc etc with conflicting stories as to whether they are correct replacements?

3) Are the Pre and Post sensors the same types and models?

4) Are there any reliable cheaper versions on the market - I will be trying Ebay - but I must get the correct model verified for alternative searces?

I do trust that you can shed some light on the above and hope that you have no objections to my enquiries

Regards

Bob

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - Dave N

You can flash the codes with a paperclip, so no need for a code reader.

Buy a genuine sensor, they are the only ones that are guaranteed to work, and will last another 10 years. The money you save on a code reader will pay for the genuine part.

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - bjp11

Dave

How do I do that ??

Do you have a thread that I can read thro

Thanks and regards

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - injection doc

"Buy a genuine sensor, they are the only ones that are guaranteed to work, and will last another 10 years. The money you save on a code reader will pay for the genuine part."

best advice by far !

do not wast your time with an aftermarket sensor on a Honda ! it will just end in tears !

"Buy a genuine sensor, they are the only ones that are guaranteed to work, and will last another 10 years. The money you save on a code reader will pay for the genuine part."

best advice by far !

do not wast your time with an aftermarket sensor on a Honda ! it will just end in tears !

Injection Doc

Thanks for the information - I will look for a genuine one

Where do you reckon I can find the right onel?

My sensor details are:

DU1 11B21 192400-1001 with THREE wires (white, black and green)
Can you tell me what these particular coloured wiring functions are for?

Confusion reigns!! – for instance when I search the WWW for the above sensor I get a description from www.lambdasensor02.co.uk for 192400-1001 showing FOUR wires with a price of GBP180

Many thanks

Regards

Edited by bjp11 on 16/06/2011 at 16:13

Dave

How do I do that ??

Thanks and regards

Looking at various threads - looks like I have to bridge between pin 5 and 9 - then count the blinks ???

long blink = 10

short blink = 1

Or am up the wrong gum tree???

I think I am looking for error:

P1164 61 Primary HO2S (No. 1) Circuit Range/Performance
P1165 61 Primary HO2S (No. 1) Circuit Range/Performance

(can anyone tell me the differencebetween the 2)

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - jc2

Dave

How do I do that ??

Thanks and regards

Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link 2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - injection doc

best advice by far !

Reply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link 2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - bjp11

best advice by far !

Injection Doc

Thanks for the information - I will look for a genuine one

Where do you reckon I can find the right onel?

At a Honda dealer!

Edited by jc2 on 16/06/2011 at 16:40

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - injection doc

do you know for sure that a sensor is faulty ? has it been scoped to be tested for a response ? and have you actually retrieved any codes ?

Dont forget an air leak or misfire or running problem can put an O2 sensor out of range ! so you need to be sure first, Rule of diagnostics is trace the fault and test the component first ! and be sure that nothing else is causing the fault

do you know for sure that a sensor is faulty ? has it been scoped to be tested for a response ? and have you actually retrieved any codes ?

Dont forget an air leak or misfire or running problem can put an O2 sensor out of range ! so you need to be sure first, Rule of diagnostics is trace the fault and test the component first ! and be sure that nothing else is causing the fault

Advice taken

I am just going to order a tester U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD from Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trouble-Diagnose-Diagnostp;qid=1308217881&sr=8-1

Thanks for your help - appreciated

Regards

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - unthrottled

Rule of diagnostics is trace the fault and test the component first ! and be sure that nothing else is causing the fault

Unless you're a dealer in which case you assume it's the most expensive component and try that and see if it works.

Edited by unthrottled on 16/06/2011 at 21:14

Unthrottled
OK taken advice and purchased a diagnostic tester
Faults that I get are:

P0166 o2 Sensor CTK No Activity (bank 2 sensor 3)
P0167 o2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (bank 2 sensor 3)

Am I correct in assuming that this is the PRE sensor on the engine manifold and not the one after the CAT convertor?

If so have located one from www.lambdapower.co.uk and will go ahead and purchace

Looking forward to your valued help
Bob

Edited by bjp11 on 21/06/2011 at 13:54

2001 HONDA ACCORD VTEC 2.0i SE AUTO: 1997 CC - ACCORD Lambda Oxygen Replacement and OBD Scannner - unthrottled

The lambda sensor is of the heated variety (in order to speed up operation from a cold start). The fact two fault codes have been thrown up regarding the same sensor is fairly conclusive (unless there is a wiring fault/poor connection-which would explain both faults).

Yes, that is the pre-cat lambda sensor-and the one that is used for the fuelling feedback loop. The post cat Lambda sensor is simply to check for correct catalytic converter function.

I would have give the connection on the lambda sensor a good clean and make sure it makes a good connection before forking out for a new one.

P.S. You could try removing the old lambda sensor and cleaning it, but I doubt this will work in this case.

Edited by unthrottled on 21/06/2011 at 14:58

Thank you unthrottled - really appreciate your help

Kind Regards

Honda Dealer - GBP240 (with warranty)

www.lambdapower.co.uk - GBP150 (with warranty)

One reason for NOT going to Honda dealer

Have since fitted new one from Lambdapower - excellent communications and service

Car now going well - thanks to everyone for helping me out and in particular unthrottled

Regards to all

Bob

Splendid news! Thanks for the update-very frustrating when it's forgotten because no one learns anything.