Airbag light. - P.Mason {P}
My car (1998 Civic) went in to the garage yesterday to have sticking rear calipers freed, also for replacement of A/C switch light. When the car was started up afterwards, the SRS(airbag) light stayed on. The machanic can only suggest that the wire to the SRS circuit may have become dislodged or moved when refitting the A/C switch, as the SRS wiring behind the dash is close to the A/C.
Does anyone have experience of this, and what are the possible consequences of driving the car with the SRS light on? I know it would be an MOT failure, but are there any safety implications?
I realise that I may have to traipse to a Honda main dealer who can diagnose/reset the system.
Regards,
P.
Airbag light. - Mark (RLBS)
>>The machanic can only suggest that the wire to the SRS circuit may have become dislodged or moved when refitting the A/C switch, as the SRS wiring behind the dash is close to the A/C.

Let us assume that he is correct. Shouldn't he be getting back in there and un-dislodging it, since presumably it was his fault ?

At least then you will know if you have a fault or not.

As for driving with the light on, it depends. If its on by mistake, no problem. If it is on because there is a fault, then if the airbag goes off at the wrong time, you'll probably crash.

M.
Thanks for the reply, Mark.
Yes, the mechanic is investigating as I write, and I should have the car back in a hour. -Local garage only a hundred yards down the road, and I've dealt with them for 25 years,and know all the staff personally, so no worries about 'cowboy' mechanics, (in fact I submitted them for the Good Garage Guide for Petersfield.)
P.
Airbag light. - Cyd
When the SRS light is "on" in any car it means that the airbags WILL NOT DEPLOY, since the system is deactivated. You are therefore at greater personal danger in an accident, since the airbag will not protect you.

The garage who did the work should sort this out for you.
Thanks for the input, everyone.
Update,- the mechanic couldn't find any reason for the light coming on - there were no wires in the vicinity of the switch he worked on, so it's just a case of 'the ghost in the machine' it appears! I've booked it in to a local Honda main dealer to have the system reset.
I bought the car about two months ago, but the airbag system is one of the items excluded from the 12 month warranty.
Just s*d's law rearing its head!
Regards,
P.
Airbag light. - Chas{P}
Sounds like it was because the battery was disconnected. Go to your Honda dealer; they shouldn't charge anymore than about £25 to reset the light if that is all that is wrong.You also have the reassurance of flagging up any other problems while the kit is connected.

I have talked to several Honda service managers in the past across the country through my work and airbag lights are a common problem.

Quite a few said that they would do the reset for nothing if it was for a regular customer so talk to them nicely!

HTH

Charles
Charles,
Thanks for the input. I noticed yesterday when I collected the car that the clock was 3 hours slow, implying that the battery had indeed been disconnected. Spoke to the garage owner, who said that if the mechanic had disconnected it to replace the indicator bulb or for any other reason without using backup power, the garage would pay for the reprogramming.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I trust the garage, who have never tried to 'pass the buck' in 25 years.
Regards,
Peter.
Airbag light. - Cyd
Sounds like you should add this garage to HJs list of good garages.
Cyd,- see post no.3 above!
Final update- took the car into the Honda dealers this AM. They sorted it in ten minutes, confirming that a 'power failure'(battery disconnected) had caused the problem. Then called into my local garage, who accepted resposibility,(they disconnect the battery when doing timing belt work in case someone inadvertently operates the starter)and are paying the Honda bill.
Regards,
P.
Airbag light. - Mike H
Who are these people in Petersfield - I live in Liss, it's always useful to know of locals who can be trusted.
Airbag light. - Dynamic Dave
P.Mason, out of interest, what price did Honda charge to sort it, and what did they do to reset the light?
Mike H,
The garage is Collins and White, in Station Road (1st. on left after turning into Station Road from College St.) A family firm for the last 40 years or so, I can't recommend them too highly, both for mechanical and bodywork repairs/servicing.
Dynamic Dave,
Honda charged £16.00 and it took about 20 minutes from driving to the forecourt to leaving with the job sorted. They were able to confirm that the problem was caused by 'power breakdown' (battery disconnected). The firm is Derek Warwick Honda in Drayton, P'Mouth.
They seem to be a clued-up business, large showrooms, attentive staff, and a large folder of current letters of appreciation from customers in the waiting area(very soft sofas, coffee, etc.
Regards,
Peter.
D.D.,
Sorry, didn't amswer your question! They plugged it into their diagnostic computer and reset the light. They checked for anything else wrong at the same time, luckily nothing else showed!
Interesting fact,-Honda are one of the very few manufacturer who don't release their diagnostic codes to firms such as Sykes/Pickavant, who supply diagnostic kits to independent garages. Had they done so, the local garage could have sorted it.
P.