Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - vicstar

Has anyone ever had this problem. When heater blowers are on (hot or cold setting) the air conditioning comes on. My car is still within the garage 3 month warranty so need to know whether to sort it out or if its supposed to happen!! I can't think its normal for air conditioning to come on when heater is blowing. If its an electrical fault and I don't get it sorted it could end up costing hundreds I guess. Any advice appreciated :)

Edited by vicstar on 11/06/2011 at 09:31

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - elekie&a/c doctor

Standard function of all Fords with a/c,and most other current cars these days.Designed to improve demisting and dehumidifying air directed to windscreen.hth

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - injection doc

Normal if its fitted with climate control

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - FP

"I can't think its normal for air conditioning to come on when heater is blowing."

As others have said, it's not the cooling function that's important here, it's the de-humidifying and it can make a lot of difference to the speed at which a misted-up screen will clear. You can always switch it off when it's done the job.

Many cars with a/c have had this automatic setting for years.

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - Peter.N.

I would concur, the dry air coming from the evaporator will clear the screen very much more quickly than hot air alone, especially in humid conditions.

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - starfield

The A/C should only be triggered if you have set the blower towards the windscreen. So check whether it is set to windscreen. Mine does it too.

Edited by starfield on 11/06/2011 at 20:16

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - Railroad.

It's obvious that there's a lot about air conditioning that people don't understand. Air conditioning is not only about cold, it's about fresh, comfortable and dry. Scientifically speaking air conditioning doesn't produce cold. More accurately it removes heat. It does this by condensing and evaporating a refridgerant gas, R134a. The rest comes down to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat always seeks out cold areas.

Air conditioning provides all year round benefits, and not just in summer. It can be used in winter with the heater on to keep the car dehumidified, and the glass clear on rainy days too. I run mine all the time. Contrary to popular belief mine hardly increases fuel consumption, or at least I don't notice it. And any small increase is a price well worth paying for the benefits of using it.

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - WellKnownSid

It's more likely to cost you hundreds to fix if you don't use the aircon regularly and the seals dry out... I would just leave it switched on!

Ford Focus 1.8 2009 plate - AC coming on when selecting windscreen heater - vicstar

Thanks for the advice