VW - any - Oilchanging and mixing - mustangman

My Mk6 Golf is set to longlife services, but being a bit 'old school' i just cannot agree with 18,000 miles or well over a year between oli changes.

So at about 9-10 k miles from a service, out comes the trusty Pela extractor, and the oil is swapped.

Thing is the oil going in was mostly Carlube triple R, but I also added the remainder of a can of Comma prolife & a little bit of Castrol SLX that was leftover. All fully synthetic VW spec of course.

I don't believe there is any real problem in mixing oils of the same basic spec, and surely new oil is better for the engine than the old that comes out tar black.

Or am i just wasting ££££'s ?

VW - any - Oilchanging and mixing - unthrottled

I'm with you on this one. I think a frequent oil change is cheap insurance. It does depend on the duty though. Short journeys on cold engines are harder on oils than warm operation-hence variable service intervals.

VW - any - Oilchanging and mixing - oldtoffee

Count me in too. I change the oil and filter on my Passat TDi in between the 10k services using an extraction pump. It is £30 for 5 litres of Quantum VW 507 fully synthetic, £4 for a filter, less than half a tank of diesel. I'm not sure i'd do it if I didn't have the pump.