"Unlucky cars" - Bobbin Threadbare

Have a look at this: www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/856045...l

It's a list of the cars which have the most claims for accidents as a percentage of ownership. There are a lot of Hondas!

Is this because the over 75s who like to crash into things (see last week's old lady stomping on her accelerator only to find that she was in reverse in her automatic - she rather spectacularly managed to park on top of a Saab) are willing to claim and they all drive the Jazz?

"Unlucky cars" - veryoldbear

A lot of them are big jellymoulds where you can't see the corners ....

"Unlucky cars" - Armstrong Sid
So it's the oldies who have caused insurance premiums to go up so much in recent years

The list seems to demolish one myth. Notice how few of them are high-performance, boy-racer types which are supposedly the cars driven by idiots who are bad drivers and have crashes.

Or is it just that the people who drive faster cars simply don't bother with insurance and therefore don't make any claims? Maybe the list demonstrates that people who drive those cars are at least honest and take out insurance, unlike the chav-racers who don't have any insurance anyway
"Unlucky cars" - jamie745

Listening to the media and all the propaganda against young drivers you'd of thought the top cars on this list wouldve been Astra's, Saxo's and Polo's. There may be an argument for alot of them go uninsured but even that wouldnt cover up this dirty secret that its the pensioners which are the real problem.

Ive never seen a youngster drive the wrong way down the M6 and not even realise it, or reverse into a parked car at 20mph and not even realise it, or inexplicably manage to roll the car over in a quiet side street with nothing around, yet i have encountered old ditherers who have managed to achieve such a thing.

There could be an argument to say that alot of cars youngsters have are common cars, things like Fiesta's etc which all age groups have so even if alot of them crash it it'll still barely make a percentage of the total units sold, where as pensioners (like it or not) are still Honda's main clientele in the UK (apart from the Civic Type R).

It still seems its almost taboo to point out pensioners are a menace though, its always the youngsters fault.

"Unlucky cars" - bonzo dog

Well, the headline "cars which have the most claims for accidents as a percentage of ownership" is not how I read the press statement from Confused.com:

http://www.confused.com/press/releases/confused-com-reveals-the-unluckiest-make-of-car

To me this is a list of claims from people who are asking for a QUOTE on these vehicles. Given that the data is from quotes May 2010 to May 2011 & represents 5 years worth of claims, how could it be otherwise???

Perhaps they are looking for a quote on a sensible car having had bad experiences with their BMW / GTi / etc?

It would be more interesting to have data informing us of claims experience by age & sex profile; but we already know this, so this wouldn't make news, would it?

Thanks Bonzo - that is an entirely different representation of the 'same' data! Ah well I suppose newspapers spread a load of rubbish about anyway.

"Unlucky cars" - Manatee

It's a record of what proposers said when applying for quotes - so it's as likely to be cars owned by the more honest as by the more accident prone.

The numbers are just not credible anyway - the "best" include the Nissan Skyline and Focus RS, which supposedly have a 1% 5 year claim rate - 15 times better than the "worst" group. Sounds fishy to me, I can't draw any conclusions at all from that story.

It's just a PR to keep up awareness of confused dot com. Drivel.

"Unlucky cars" - unthrottled

I can't work out what it means!

Figures are based on quotes from Confused.com, between 11 May 2010 and 11 May 2011, based on all types of accident claims: this means those where the driver of a particular vehicle was at fault as well as cases where the other party took responsibility, and claims where no blame could be apportioned.

Manatee-I disagree. The figures are credible, but I doubt they are accurate. For one thing, you'd have to have a pretty decent insurance record to afford the insurance on a Skyline whereas Mr/Mrs Blunders with a couple of claims will be insuring the Jazz.

Also, people with high insurance group cars are probably settle small claims privately because their NCD is worth more than to someone with a Honda Jazz.

The final point comes down to whether the quotes turned into actual purchases. There will be a lot of dreamers asking for quotes on a skyline, but very few of those quotes will turn into policies. Not many dreamers getting quotes on a Honda Jazz!

It's just a PR to keep up awareness of confused dot com. Drivel.

Definitely!

"Unlucky cars" - jamie745

Cars like the Focus ST and Skyline have been made in small numbers (in comparison to the mainstream cars) and are usually owned by fanatics of them, who keep them in garages and are moderatley careful with them. Insurance rates are already pretty high on them cars and people would be hesitant to claim on it for anything other than a major reason.

To make this research definitive only policies which went on to be purchased should be counted, last time i looked at buying a car i ran a quote for 30 different cars, if those are all included then this research is meaningless.

"Unlucky cars" - dieseldogg

Does the actual cash cost of each individual claim have any bearing on this.

I suspect the decent? middle class? Jazz owners only claim a wheen o pound for bodywork repair.

"YER boyo" who is driving too fast and causes or at least claims for multiple personal injuries is in a different league.

I think there is some reasonable evidence that the multi million pound personal injury claims tend be be as a direct result of the younger drivers exurberance & inexperience plus a car load of mates.

just a thought

M

Edited by dieseldogg on 08/06/2011 at 12:14

To make this research definitive only policies which went on to be purchased should be counted, last time i looked at buying a car i ran a quote for 30 different cars, if those are all included then this research is meaningless.

True! Everytime I see a car I like, I put its reg into confused.com and see how much it'd be for me to insure it, since it is a particular consideration for me, having only been driving 3 years. So I am skewing their statistics mwahahaha!