Golf MkIV Doors - Ian J
Has any one experienced problems with a rear golf door mk iv refusing to open either from inside or outside. Central locking was working ok and all other doors worked normally. The central locking button was locking and unlocking on the faulty door but the door wouldnt open. Subsequently the fault corrected itsself and the door started working normally again. The problem has happened twice - the only reason I can come up with is that my wife on opening the car had pulled out the handle on the offending door before the central locking had disengaged, although you would think that the design would allow for this. It is now working normally and she has been told to wait until the central locking has operated - a couple of seconds - before using the handle to open the doors. This behaviour seems to work. Has any one else experienced anything similar, or have any suggestions why it happened. The whole episode was weird.
Golf MkIV Doors - David Davies
If its of any help, I had this problem with a VW Golf recently,but it was a permanent fault.The rear left door would not open period.It was a time consuming job to remove various trim pieces to access the door catch from inside the door.Eventually I managed to disengage the catch.When it was removed it was seen to be rusted and have a broken return spring.My advice would be to fit a new door catch now whilst the door is openable.This way you will avoid a large labour bill.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Golf MkIV Doors - the conductor
there was a recall a few years ago for dodgy locks on golf4 and passats when i worked for vw. this was when golf4 first came out.
have a word with local vw dealer as locks had to be replaced and are very expensive.
Golf MkIV Doors - Ian J
Many thanks for the helpful responses - will follow thro on advice. Car is 1999 vintage. If my memory is accurate judicious use of wd40 helped me out when problem occurred.
Kind Regards
Ian