BMW 316 starting trouble - Dindo
Hi all,

Thanks for everyones previous assistance on this site, I always review articles here hoping not to have to write my own again - but here i am :(

I am having starting troubles with my BMW 316, 1996. I just had the starter and the battery and the alternator checked (I had a dodgy connection between battery and ignition unit causing everything having to be checked over!). But I now have starting trouble again.

The starter turns over and over when I turn the key, but the engine will not start until I have done this probably two to three times, and when it does start (and I don't think that I am being paranoid here) I smell a sulphorous (eggy) smell when it does start.

When the engine is warm, it doesn't do this, but when it is cold it does this all the time - i.e. every morning.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

I have done a fair few miles in her since I bought her three months ago (12,000+) - would this be anything as simple as a service??

Thanks in advance all,
And merry christmas to everyone too :)

Dindo.
BMW 316 starting trouble - GGM JULES
Egg smell suggests you have fuel there. You need to check if you have a spark first thing. Common to fuel and spark is fuel pump relay ( can sometimes knock out spark and/or fuel pump when it plays up)Does it sound low on compression first thing? Has it hydraulic tappets? Oil can affect starting on Ford Zetecs and Micra's this way with wrong viscosity or age to my knowledge by keeping valves slightly open when cold
BMW 316 starting trouble - Dindo
Thanks for your response.

RE low compression, yes I would say it does.

I will see if I can sort it out from what you have suggested.

Thanks againm I really do appreciate it.

Dindo