Buying Advice - Jalopy
My wife has decreed that 2 children are more than enough to handle so my plans to populate all 7 seats of my 1996 P Reg Sharan 1.9 GL TDi are scuppered. Having decided that we no longer need an MPV we are looking for something else which gives us good comfort on long journeys for 2 adults and 2 children aged 4 and 2 with decent luggage space and which is affordable by a part exchange plus up to £3k. Any thoughts gratefully received.
Buying Advice - DavidHM
What's the mileage on the Sharan?

My first thought is a 51 plate Mondeo.
Buying Advice - Jalopy
68K. Is it advisable to look at Estates or is the saloon likely to be big enough?
Buying Advice - DavidHM
For that money, £6,000 or so as a p/x plus £3,000 you're looking at a 51 plate Mondeo 1.8 LX petrol 5 door. I don't know how much luggage space you need, but it won't definitely be out of the question to get a hatchback. An estate or a diesel, especially the TDCi, would push the price up by quite a bit.

In a private sale, £7,000 wouldn't be unrealistic for your car and is worth thinking about, although assuming the car's in good nick overall and has history, you have a very desirable part exchange, especially for its age.

Others worth looking at would be a T-X plate Passat, R-T plate Audi A4, ideally estates, or possibly a late Peugeot 406, although he Mondeo is generally the more capable car. As a long shot, a Honda Accord, although the franchises want the world for them and they're not usually available at sensbile mileages from the supermarkets.

A Citroen C5 is a bit sloppy and the quality's not great and I've heard bad things about the quality of the new Laguna as well, although it's possibly worth considering as it's a new, competent car. Or you could go for a BMW or Volvo of about the same age as your current car.
Buying Advice - Mark (RLBS)
An Omega Estate - I have an Omega, a wife, a daughter and towo big dogs, plus pushchair, plus bags.

Its a great car - and they're cheap.
Buying Advice - Soupytwist
I'd shy away from the Passat if I were you, I've got one as a temporary company car and I'm not looking forward to attempting to put in it everything that will be required for the Xmas trip to the inlaws, including my 5 month old son.

The Mondeo hatch which was taken away from me so I could use the Passat would have accomodated the lot just about. With the Mondeo LX check that it's got remote central locking 'cos the only door that can be unlocked with the key is the driver's one and this can get very tiresome with children.

It doesn't help that the wife has decided that it would be a good idea to buy her parents some new luggage for Christmas.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Buying Advice - TrevorP
Skoda Octavia Tdi estate.

the only downside that I have had reported is not much knee room for adults in back seat.

So, not a problem for you then.

(p.s - was this year's winner in family car section of J D Power survey)
Buying Advice - Soupytwist
It's what I'm getting in a few weeks and I'm not bothered about the leg room in the back for the same reason !

Comments on other threads about them being noisy are starting to worry me though, I drove one and it wasn't bad at all but then I was used to a 1990 GOlf GTI !

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Buying Advice - Jalopy
Thanks for the advice thus far. Any thoughts on the Picasso?
Buying Advice - Ben79
www.citroenpicasso.org.uk doesn't seem to report any major Picasso problems. Dad has just bought one and I like it, speaking as a 6'3 who sometimes travels in the back. I still prefer the drivers' seat. However, if you are substantially built, you may find an annoying hard edge on the base of the drivers' seat. I have to move slightly off-centre, but that has not made the journey uncomfortable yet.