Ford Focus - Ford Focus, Buy or Not to Buy Is The Question - richmurr

i am after a 1.4 ford focus but my budget is tight. i dont want to go over 1000 but im not scared of a doing a few cosmetic repairs myself

i have seen a couple but one that stands out is a 2000 ford focus on autotrader for just under 1000 (id try to get them down to 850-900) its absalutely imaculate with a years MOT and service history BUT... IT HAS 133,000 miles on the clock and that does scare me a bit. i know fords are reliable and "run forever" as my little 1.3 fiesta is still chugging away at 110,000 miles.

is this car worth it. much apriciated :)

Rich

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20112038757...p

Edited by richmurr on 26/05/2011 at 15:56

just realised that i have advertised this car to everyone. please dont buy it if its worth it ;)

Ford Focus - Ford Focus, Buy or Not to Buy Is The Question - unthrottled

It's one of those ghastly Arthur Daleys. Who loves exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1.6 Focus isn't exactly blisteringly quick, the 1.4 will feel underpoowered.

It's 11 years old with 133K on the clock. Niggling things will probably start happening which will require attention.

The price isn't fantastic. There is no point in buying a car for £1000 when you've got one that is still working. It might look better on paper-but better the devil you know.

i need a bigger car and the fiesta doesent get anyone in the back seats. also iv had a renewal quote for my fiesta and theyv put it up about 200 from last year. (stupid i know) with a focus my insurance will go down the 200 extra for my fiesta plus another 90 odd quid. iv got someone buying my car for 650 at the end of next month so ive got a while to look around.

thanks for replieing

Rich

Ford Focus - Ford Focus, Buy or Not to Buy Is The Question - WellKnownSid

Have you shopped around for insurance? In over 20 years of driving I don't think I've been with the same insurer twice! It's all to do with risk packaging and re-insurance...

owwwwww yes. and i dont bother with price comparison as you get a much better deal if you phone up. im not one for taking the first price either. i always barter them down. just dont like the thought that in my first 2 years of driving ive given £2500 away for nothing on a car worth £650 (no accidents or anything)

Rich

Ford Focus - Ford Focus, Buy or Not to Buy Is The Question - WellKnownSid

I remember being given a new one of these about 11 years ago as a courtesy car whilst my Puma was being serviced. I remember it well because it felt so ridiculously slow. I wondered why everyone was raving about the focus at the time.

Quite correct that a car of that age will have niggling faults - having owned runarounds of that age before. Anything made of rubber could be starting to wear out (seals, gaskets, critical plumbing), anything that moves is a prime target for problems... hinges, locks, handles, window regulators or movable parts of the wiring to the doors / etc. Then there is the corrosion...

thanks for the messages. will stear clear of anything over 100k me thinks.

i have seen one with 92 k and also one with 73k (would prob need a new cam belt though). on that note do you know if these focuses are chain driven of cam belt driven?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/fod-focus-14cc-reg-994m-tax5m-mot73k5door-hpi-clear-2ownerelcwcentral-lock-very-tidy-abs/80672243

any thoughts on this. i always ignore cosmetic problems

Ford Focus - Ford Focus, Buy or Not to Buy Is The Question - Bobbin Threadbare

Focuses are cam belt.

A 1.4l will be underpowered - I used to have a petrol 1.6 and it would scoot along great until I reached a hill. You're right about the space inside though; you get a lot of leg room and lots of boot space.

My clutch went after 86k miles. I drove the car to 91k and part-exed it. When I got it it had about 25k on it! I had a 52 reg and px'd in 2010 for about £1300 as it needed some bodywork doing (someone took the p*** in a car park and gashed it for me).

You have to watch the bushes and ball joints on the suspension as well - it's a common problem. Having said that, Focuses are cheap to fix. It's not a surprise that they are so popular.

i was looking at all sorts of other cars but i dont think i can come away from ford. my fiesta had to have a tie rod replaced and my brothers did to (corsa) mine cost £16 and done it me self were as my brothers cost 80 for the part with me doing it. fords are the best. haha.

cheers for the reply

i also want a Classic mini but they are hard to come by in good conditioin and i do0nt have a garage to store it in so will get one in the future

No probs. I really loved my little Focus and I was sad to trade it but I needed a bigger engine for my commute to work. Yeah all my suspension work cost £70 for all four joints and fitting as well!

I enjoy these kind of queries from people - get yourself on Autotrader and have a squizz. I found this lovely this morning:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20111238252...p

Admittedly an estate but what a bargain!

That does seem like a lot of car for the money. I prefer wagons, I think they look better and they make better use of the floorplan. But the saloon focus is an eyesore-what were they thinking??

86k? Didn't have you down as a clutch burner Bobbin ;)

Clutch burner...?!! How cheeky :-P

My husband drove it to the 68k mark before I got my hands on it, hammering it round Cumbria so I am not taking responsibility for the clutch!

Yeah saloon Focus is ugly. As are the drop-top ones I reckon.

Cumbria? So you're a nuclear physicist then!

I think most cabriolets are ugly. If you're going to drive a convertible, it has to be one that was designed from the ground up with a soft top.