Buying Old Cars Unseen - lezebre
Been looking at Ebay, that's the online auction site for those who, like me, have been a bit slow to catch on to the e-revolution; "automotive" section.

As I understand it, from a brief description by the seller and a photo - which, like in Autotrader, is not much more use than for confirming that a Bond 875 or whatever is actually the model you thought it was - you have to decide on what amount to bid. Only when you have the winning bid will you be able to meet the seller and travel to where the car is located.
According to ebay, by this time you have an obligation to buy it at the price bid. Indeed the car descriptions often include a line such as "you are bidding to buy not to have last refusal".

Maybe for a nearly new car still under makers guarantee this method *might* make some sense, but for an old banger or a classic (very old, cherished, banger) who would commit to buy unseen, having not even heard the engine running?
Buying Old Cars Unseen - DavidHM
Actually, I would - with some qualifications.

The description of the car is a contract and, if the car is not as described then the whole contract is void. The feedback system works both ways and usually buyers and sellers have a strong incentive to keep their feedback positive; therefore, either lying or walking away from a legitimate deal is going to be difficult.

Therefore I'd only bid on something that was described as being in good condition and with lots of good quality photos that showed it was fairly straight.

Of course, I'd have to deduct a risk premium to match that which I would get at an ordinary, physical auction, and if I was conservative about it I'd probably end up being outbid anyway.

Basically, ebay cars need to be cheap as chips (although Asda oven chips, at 96p for 1.81kg cost more than my 960kg Renault 19, £475 and not from ebay).
Buying Old Cars Unseen - lezebre
I'm pleased that you are able to give auction sites some endorsement, David, and that the innovation perhaps makes sense, but I was watching a Morris Oxford MO, now gone, and the blurb said something like "in good condition for a fifty year old car", not a very useful contract, although for sure it gives some indication.

Your last comment reminds me of the bizarre 'cost per ton' statistic that Car Magazine used to include in its statistics on new cars yonks ago!!!
Buying Old Cars Unseen - frostbite
I think David hits the nail on the head when referring to feedback - it is VERY important to the vast majority (like myself) and most of us are terrified of getting negative feedback.

The only exceptions to the rule can be people who have only recently signed up - they simply haven't had a chance to build a track record, so click on the rating number if it's low (or even if not, if you're curious) and you will be taken to a listing of all their feedback, plus the date of joining ebay. This also works on ebid.co.uk which is an up-and-coming site.

Also, most car sellers will let you see the motor before auction end if you email, or use a provided phone number.