Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - rightcar
Hi All.

I have just fitted a new clutch to my Punto. I put it all bak together, fitted the gearbox went to start it and it struggled. I could not select gears. Eventually it did start but still the gears were grinding when i went to engage them. I managed to get it into 1st gear and now it is proper stuck in first gear.

I have no idea what i have done wrong. I will remove the Gbox again later and take a look at it but..What are your thoughts on p[otential damage to the Gearbox and what could I have done wrong...I am scratching my head!

BTW...If the clutch plate was not alighned correctly..is it still possible to bolt the gearbox back on flush??..It looks fine just doesn't b***** work as advertised! :-)

Many thanks
Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - dadbif
Sounds as if the clutch isn't releasing properly, is it cable or hydraulic? If cable then it may just require adjusting correctly.
HI.

Thanks for your reply. It is hydraulic. I have bled the system and observed the clutch plate releasing although only about 5-8 mm.
Bump...I would appreciate some thoughts on this guys!..I am still scatching my head!! :-)
Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - injection doc

did you fit a complete kit or just a centre plate ? Is the centre plate fitted the correct way round ?

I trust it was a new clutch and not second hand ?

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - madf

How did you centre the drive pinion in the release bearing?

Hi .

I centered it with a universal alighnment tool and the kit was new and complete with pressure plate, clutch plate and thrust bearing. It was a bit of a do getting the gearbox back on but when it eventually went on and I could get the bolts in..I assumed all was fine and lined up.

I am just wondering if the rotational alighnment of the pressure plate matters?..not sure if it went back on exactly the same as it came off. BTW..The clutch plate was proud end to the transmission and away from flywheel.

Not looking forward to getting the box back off again but I am still b***** confused by 1, the Gbox stuck in 1st and 2 what could possibly have gone wrong. I am worried the gbox is knackered in some way..i don't see how but........it was fine before the clutch change.

Your help appreciated

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - bathtub tom

I'm wondering if you were given the correct clutch plate.

Did you try it on your gearbox splines to see if it slid easily?

I didn't no.

It should be 20 splines. If the plate is wrong, would the Gbox still go on and bolt up flush??

I think you have a point there!..I do hope I havn't knacked the Gearbox!!

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - bathtub tom

>>If the plate is wrong, would the Gbox still go on and bolt up flush??

Depends how far wrong it is. You can provide an awful lot of force through bolts.

If you can't find a simple solution, it looks like the gearbox'll have to come off again - sorry!

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - TeeCee

It should be possible to get out of 1st regardless of the state of the clutch when the engine is off, if you release the handbrake to allow any tension out of the system. If you cannot, then I suspect that the problem may well be in your reassembly of the selector linkage rather than the clutch. Check this first.

If not, then:

1) Incorrect clutch cover (pressure plate). I've had a full kit with the wrong cover before. Check the part number stamped on the cover (and the friction plate) when you get 'em off again. In all the ones I have ever done it was only possible to fit the cover in one orientation as the dowels and bolts wouldn't line up otherwise. If you reckon that it went on differently to the one that came off I would be suspicious.

2) Incorrect or misfitted release bearing. Note that on some 'boxes it is also possible to refit the release bearing actuator fork back-to-front(!)

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - gordonbennet

On some cars, Pugs if i recall it's quite easy to refit the clutch cable badly at the bell housing end, might Fiat's be similar.

General points.

Always slide a new clutch plate onto the splines before attempting to assemble, check it's a perfect fit, obviously, but also that the plate runs freely along the shaft.

When removing parts leave them in removal order the correct side up, and compare meticulously new with old before you do anything.

I haven't used a clutch aligning tool for years, the only ones i ever found of any use was the correct splined shaft removed from another box. I get down and close and with the clutch lightly nipped up adjust by sight the driven plate in line with the spigot bearing, by careful use of a suitable round bar, works well and they slide in far better than by using some loose fitting so called universal alignment tool.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - hammerfixeseverything

as mentioned linkage would be a suspect for sticking in gear,also helps troubleshooting if you can check against another similar vehicle,were there any issues with transmission prior to clutch replacement?

Hi.

There were no problems with the Gearbox when I took it off. I am going to get it back off today and see what has gone wrong. I suspect it is the wrong clutch plate...I should have checked it!!!!!!!!!..part the fault of the supplier ( who is normally fantastic)..I may have become complacent with them! :-)

I will report back later when I have the Gbox off

Right then .

I have a confession to make!...It seems I misalighned the clutch plate. I took the gearbox off and the pressure plate to find the new clutch plate mangled!!..god knows how that happened but a new, new clutch is now fitted and runs fine...only thing is, the b***** airbag light has now come on and there is a bit of a knock/bang coming from somewhere when cornered hard or on uneven roads...the saga continues.

Thanks for all the advice / help...can't believe I did that.

If there are any views or help with the airbag light and knock..I would be most appreciative..I can't recreate the knock stationary.

Fiat Punto 1.2 - Fiat Punto 1.2 8V clutch fit...help needed. - hammerfixeseverything

were only human,these things happen,as for the clonking check the lower gearbox mount where it attaches to box and underside/chassis of car :-)

Hi Thanks.

I have found the source of the knocking noise. The NS wishbone bush ( rear) has had it. I put a bit of force on the wishbone to reattach the strut..must have knackered it. A nice easy job to do for a change! :-)..This Punto is going to be the finest one on the road by the time I have finished!

It's had

Clutch,

service ( with coil packs, HT leads, cam belt,tensioner and normal service parts),

New PS Motor

New CD/Ipod head unit

Fresh gearbox oil

New Lambda sensor

Sills welded ( belly is now solid and protected)

New MOT

Front Pads and disks

...and polished/cleaned to within an inch of it's life.

It has been a fun and enjoyable project but, expensive..I have been chasing fault after fault but now it's all sorted! :-)

Not quite sure what to do with it now..sell it or keep it for a bit as a run around, cheap fuel but...its orange with blue interior!!!

:-)

Thanks for all your thoughts and help here..very supportive