Ford B-MAXFocus 1.8 Zetec Petrol - Engine RPM problems on start up - AdrianCh

I purchased a new Ford Focus Zetec on 18 May 2011. (16 miles on the clock) Intermittently on start up from warm, the engine RPM rises to 1100-1200 revs and then drops to 400-500RPM and hangs up. Blipping the throttle has no effect until some 3-4 secs later the RPM increases to normal. The garage has changed the throttle housing but the problem persists. There are no fault codes on interrogation. The problem has not occurred from a cold start.

Ford B-MAXFocus 1.8 Zetec Petrol - Engine RPM problems on start up - proudie

Hi AdrianCH

Did you ever rectify this problem???

I have a 2008 Titanium Facelift model with same engine (1.8 petrol) and every now again the same thing you describe happens to me – I notice it more when say I have driven it turned engine off waited 10-15 minutes and then restarted whilst still warm.

The revs climb to 1000-1200 RPM and then drop and hover about 400-500 RPM – after a few seconds it seems to correct itself. Sometimes I turn it off and re-start and seems to correct itself! Sometimes I start it the revs climb to 1000-1200 RPM then drop and the engine stalls.

I Had a PCM software update at Ford in April this year and after this I didn’t seem to experience the problem but I t came back about 2 months ago.

Don’t know too much about engines but it is almost like something is sticking and then it opens – maybe an inlet valve or a sensor?

Ford B-MAXFocus 1.8 Zetec Petrol - Engine RPM problems on start up - AdrianCh

The problem still persists and the car has been with TC Harison's for 7 weeks. The Ford Field Engineer is currently using the car, loaded with test equipment, to try and find fault. I am reliably informed that there are other cars with same problem.

My concern is that if the car is stalled in a potentially dangerous place, restarting the engine has no guarantee of success to enable the car to be moved.

Are you still under warranty?