AA Breakdown repair warranty - Jonno1

Has anyone any experiences/comments/thoughts about the AA Breakdown repair warranty scheme? I spoke to an AA salesman on the High Street the other day, the cost of the warranty (about £150 a year including AA membership) seems cheap when compared to other warranties I have been quoted (Warranty Direct - £300 per year). BTW I have a 2002 Vauxhall Corsa C, 86,000 miles).

AA Breakdown repair warranty - akr

Cost me about £70 last year (£207 all in including the annual breakdown cover) and they paid out on the failed alternator on her 93 convertible without any quibbling at all.

I have it again this year for the same price.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - jma362k

I bought a car from a reputable garage in july last year who supplied the vehicle with a 12 month Gold Warranty from the AA which i paid for on top of the vehicle for peace of mind.
The car was a Nissan Xtrail 2.2Dci and overall i am very happy with the car although 3 months or so after buying it i started to smell oil burning so took it back to the garage who diagnosed the smell as a leaking intercooler, i then explained the vehicle was covered by the AA and they said they would call them and get authorisation, 10 mins later and a call from the garage, (Bad news) The AA will not pay out so i rang them myself and asked why.
There reply was simple if its not listed its not covered and if it is listed it is covered, so long and short of it i was left with a bill of £700 plus fitting to get the vehicle fixed.
it was then some time after that that i had to take the car back to the garage with binding brakes again the garage advised me that one of the front brake calipers had seized they rang the AA once again and recieved authority the cary out the repairs with non genuine parts (cheap caliper) and all was fine until today when i found the brakes were binding again this time a different wheel.
The garage rang the AA for authority but was told that they will not pay out for the caliper when asked why the AA say that the caliper has most deffinatly failed due to Wear and tear, so i rang them myself and asked why they replaced the first caliper but not this one they said that this one has failed due to wear and tear.
Now how can they say that when they cant even see the item and surely if the caliper was leaking then yes its wear and tear but its not leaking.
another reason why they may not want to pay out is maybe because i have about 10 days left until the warranty ends and i have not taken them up on there renewal offer which is double what it was last year, all in all i am left once again with a bill to pay which means i have had to pay out over £1000 in all since taking out the AA waranty 12 months ago plus the premium for the waranty in the first place.
BE WARNED AA WARANTY IS NOT WORTH THE PAPER ITS PRINTED ON DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND SAVE YOUR MONEY.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - bonzo dog

if its not listed its not covered and if it is listed it is covered

So are you saying that the warranty co should pay for parts not covered?

one of the front brake calipers had seized they rang the AA once again and recieved authority the cary out the repairs

I take it you are OK with this decision?

this one has failed due to wear and tear.
Now how can they say that when they cant even see the item and surely if the caliper was leaking then yes its wear and tear but its not leaking.

Surely it would be better to identify what it is wrong with it rather than what is not?

Your complaint is unfortunately common amoung many complainants of any form of product or service the world over - essentially "I bought something which doesn't do what I want it to" regardless of what it is supposed to do.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - Peter

I cannot comment on the AA but I have had two similar policies from other companies. These policies were sold to me by the car salesman as covering all defective items etc, full whistles and bells as they say. It is only a few days later when the paper work appears that you realise it covers most things but not all. With luck, the few repairs carried out have covered by a large margin the cost of the insurance, so I do not complain.

My heated front windscreen failed with an electrical fault but the Ins. Co. would not replace it as it was window glass, not covered, despite me pointing out the true fault.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - mariakatosvich

I'm a big fan of the AA.

For example, my clutch slave cylinder went a few months ago. They picked up my car and arranged a 4 day hire whilst my mechanic fixed it (no parts available and a weekend and a bank holiday!) which meant I was without car for less than 12 hours (and that was when I was at work!!). All funded by the AA. I was extremely impressed. Also, the car rental firm said they would rent me the car at the same rate the AA paid if I needed it for longer which seemed reasonable to me. Good service from them I must say and a definite must for me!

(Link removed to avoid any suggestion of advertising.)

Edited by Avant on 23/03/2016 at 15:17

AA Breakdown repair warranty - ianmill

Has anyone any experiences/comments/thoughts about the AA Breakdown repair warranty scheme? I spoke to an AA salesman on the High Street the other day, the cost of the warranty (about £150 a year including AA membership) seems cheap when compared to other warranties I have been quoted (Warranty Direct - £300 per year). BTW I have a 2002 Vauxhall Corsa C, 86,000 miles).

Hi this is not realy a warranty,you must be a member of the AA and they must attend you if you breakdown and tow you to a garage they will then pay up to £500 of the cost of parts and labour you pay an excess of aout £25 its not to bad, the battery went on my jag new cost £150 i paid £25 cant complain.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - HomerML

I had a problem myself yesterday. They (the AA) are refusing again to pay for a failed part. This time my turbo went. Because my garage part-ex the turbo with a refurbished one, they are refusing to pay up. They said they need to see the old one. Too late,I need my up and running. I'm going on holiday tonight in it. We were on our way towing a caravan Thursday. It broke down an hour into our first ever journey. Kids were gutted. Garages were closed on good Friday and Bank Hol Monday, so my garage got the turbo off the Thursday night and gave it to me. Friday I got it swapped, so we could have the car repaired for today. Hopefully we will make it today. It's the second time they haven't paid for a repair. I'm still fighting the first one. It's gone to the financial ombudsman.

I would not recommend the AA breakdown Repair Cover. Just save the money yourself in a savings account

AA Breakdown repair warranty - RobJP

To be fair, any warranty has terms and conditions. If those terms and conditions state that the damaged parts must be made available for the warranty company to inspect, then that is pretty much final. To take out a warranty, agree to the terms and conditions, but then not adhere to them yourself but still expept the warranty company to pay up ... well, that's not really reasonable.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - nortones2

Don't know the length of the T&C of the AA (so-called) warranty, but a recent article mentioned that certain insurance policies contained over 30,000 words. The shortest was LV @ 6900 or thereabouts. Comprehending the fine print is not easy, as intended.

Edited by nortones2 on 23/04/2014 at 12:07

AA Breakdown repair warranty - RobJP

In fact, I've just looked up the warranty you have. Under 'Exclusions' it says ...

2. Any repairs for Mechanical or Electrical Failure started before Your claim has been accepted and We have issued an authorisation number to the repairer. That looks pretty clear to me.

Edited by RobJP on 23/04/2014 at 12:19

AA Breakdown repair warranty - nortones2

Bet the lawyer who put that in got a bonus! Seems a little unfair to exclude, when time is of the essence.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - gordonbennet

Why does anyone still waste their money on aftermarket warranties, putting that £200 to £500 on premium bonds would be a better bet, you don't lose the premium and more chance of paying out.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - Galaxy

None of these warranties are worth the paper they're printed on.

I really am surprised that people are still willing to pay out good money for them.

The warranty company is there for one purpose, and one purpose only. To make money!

If they paid out all the claims that are submitted they wouldn't make any. End of!

AA Breakdown repair warranty - Snakey

I've given up on all warranties, whether third party or manufacturer. I've decided simply to buy carefully (ie petrol only) and suffer the costs of any failures myself. At least that way it gets fixed quickly and I don't get into a battle with the dealer/warranty company to get it sorted.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - HomerML

Are they serious? Just got my renewal letter from the AA. This year up from £160 to a whopping £349 ! ! ! Yes £349, not a typo. I rang them up and they gave a £60 discount. WOW. A huge increase and they didn't even pay for my breakdown repair to my turbo or even when cooler pipe blew. I think they are trying to get rid of cars older than 10 years old. I would not recommend the AA at all.

AA Breakdown repair warranty - Paulsxf
It's a 2002 car. They could/will reject any claim on the grounds of wear and tear. To be fair most common repairs on these will be less than £150 in any case. Has it ever had the cam chain replaced as that is probably the biggest risk/expense? I assume it's a manual and not the Easytronic? Make sure you have breakdown cover to recover you off the road if something does fail (there are cheaper options than the AA).

Edited by Paulsxf on 29/03/2016 at 04:52

AA Breakdown repair warranty - Avant

We haven't heard from the OP since 2011, so he may not benefit from your advice. Hopefully others may - thanks anyway.