HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - unthrottled

Just had a quick look at HJs appraisal of Renault's ECO2 diesel and this horror leapt out:

It does this through a variety of technologies.

It is ‘undersquare’: 80mm bore and 79.5mm stroke, which is unusual for a diesel engine.

As well as downsizing (and down weighting), it has a low pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation system. This takes hot exhaust gases after they have passed through the diesel particulate filter, cools them, passes them back through the intercooler at relatively low pressure, then recombusts them at optimum temperature in the combustion chambers.

Multi injection that involves injecting fuel during the combustion process as well as before helps create the necessary temperature to regenerate the particulate filter, however the engine is being used.

This is a PR puff piece that's been badly rewritten into nonsense. You don't recombust exhaust for a start. Come on HJ-We expect better than this!

Edited by unthrottled on 19/05/2011 at 15:24

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - bathtub tom

I always understood that if the bore was greater than the stroke it was referred to as an oversquare engine.

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - LucyBC

This is way outside my normal skillset but I have recently done a case involving one of these.

The engine is regarded as "sqare" when it is as close as 79.5 and 80.

Renault's EGR system (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) means that some of the exhaust gases are re-injected into the fresh air of the engine air intake circuit and are recombusted, apparently reducing Nitrous Oxide emissions.

I have to say that is the limit of my knowledge on the issue :-)

Most diesels are undersquare. This was one is square.

I think the writer has mixed up Low Temperature EGR and Low Pressure EGR. All manufacturers use cooled EGR nowadays to reduce Nitrous Oxide emissions-but the EGR is inert-it doesn't recombust.

Mutliple injection events per cycle has also been standard fare across the industry for several years.

LucyBC-you appear to be more knowledgable than the reviewer-I think you should swap roles!

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - TeeCee

I always understood that if the bore was greater than the stroke it was referred to as an oversquare engine.

Spot on! There's no such thing as "undersquare", the opposite of oversquare is "long stroke", which gives the game away nicely here.

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - injection doc

think the writer has mixed up Low Temperature EGR and Low Pressure EGR. All manufacturers use cooled EGR nowadays to reduce Nitrous Oxide emissions-but the EGR is inert-it doesn't recombust.

Quite correct, EGR gas reduces combustion to reduce the piston temperature to reduce the NOx. The recycled air is inert and thats how it cools the combustion.

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - WellKnownSid

There is also this "thermo valve" which keeps the engine coolant in the cylinder head... it sounds like the principle first tried in the K-series!

The worrying thing for me will be the somewhat modified oil pump arrangement. Being a Renault, it'll get variable quality servicing as soon as it hits its third birthday, which doesn't bode well for the continued oil flow around the engine.

Any car with 50,000+ on the clock is probably going to be a seizure time-bomb!

I don't remember the K series using a thermostat-sorry 'thermovalve'? berween the head and the block. Rover were very proud that the engine only had a coolant capacity of ~1.2litres inside the engine so it was quick to warm up anyway. Later on we discovered why everyone else had greater coolant capacities...

That's the principle I was referring to... allowing the head to heat up to toasty temperatures before flooding it with cold water sounds like a recipe for CHG stress, especially when the, er, "thermovalve" starts to get a bit sticky.

Still, I'm sure the Formula 1 piston rings will kick in if that happens. Remind me... How many laps does an F1 engine have to do these days?

I'd be tempted to try it on a iron block/iron head combination but alloy heads/iron block...

To be fair, ultra thin piston rings would be something to shout about-since the rings are the biggest single source of friction. That said

F1 engine: high piston speed/low cylinder pressure

Diesel engine: low piston speed/high cylinder pressure

So different strategy required!

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - TeeCee

>I'd be tempted to try it on a iron block/iron head combination but alloy heads/iron block...

You've omitted a combination there; alloy block / iron head. As far as I am aware this arrangement was unique to Skoda who transitioned from all-iron to all-alloy via that route before they ditched their own engines for VW's. I used to own a Skoda 130 Rapid, I nearly wet myself with laughter the first time I had occasion to get stuck into the engine and noticed this. Heck of a fun car to drive, dead simple to maintain and parts were free with cornflakes too.

In '73 GM 2300 Vega also used alloy block/iron head-not sucessfully! Didn't think anyone else had bothered with it.

HJ Renault ECO2 diesel - HJ-PR advertorial drivel - madf

"

Another problematic engine was introduced for 1982. The 4.1 L HT-4100 was an in-house design that mated cast-iron heads to an aluminum block. HT-4100s failed in large numbers and many were replaced under warranty. [citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Eldorado

The GM diesel and the 8-6-4 offerings didn't fare much better! A bit of a culture shock compared to GMs modern offerings which are generally very reliable.

The thread has drifted somewhat. It's the article I have the problem with-not the Renault rengine-which sounds quite decent. Mind you any engine that burns its fuel twice has to be good!

A business partner of mine, a very experienced marketing consultant, always maintains that if your business sells spades and they cost ten pounds, then somewhere on the front of your website you need to say: "We sell spades, they are ten pounds".

Unfortunately, this rather pragmatic approach to marketing is not a view shared in marketing departments the world over, where the laws of nature simply do not apply!