Which Hybrid - Ben 10

Toyota Prius V Honda Insight

I've read HJs write ups on these two. There seems to be a "fag" paper between the two. Both Japanese, and manufacturers that always appear to come in the top 10 of surveys. Anyone own either vehicle, and can give their ownership experiences/reliability?

Which Hybrid - daveyjp

I test drove an Insight - it was terrible and proved to me you can't produce a hybrid on a tight budget. Everything about it felt and looked cheap.

I now see a lot more Prius than Insights.

Which Hybrid - WellKnownSid

The Prius. A friend bought one last year, to replace his Verso which was no-longer required as the kids were moving out.

Absolutely loves it, drives well, very comfortable.

But absolutely, completely, totally, 150% useless in snow, apparently!

Edited by WellKnownSid on 18/05/2011 at 21:07

Which Hybrid - TeeCee

>But absolutely, completely, totally, 150% useless in snow, apparently!

Odd. I have one as my fleet car. Seemed to do very well over the last couple of winters with snow tyres on.

You can't just boot it and expect the Traction Control to sort things out though as you can with some vehicles. The Prius T/C system is very agricultural, as all it does it chuck the breakers on the Inverter assembly, cutting the electric drive. The reason is that if a wheel spins and then grips, the torque from the 'leccy motor is quite capable of snapping a driveshaft. Driving with the "lead welly" on a slippery surface causes vigorous "kangarooing".

If you take it with the standard issue tyres, snows are a "must have". The types fitted as standard on delivery are all low rolling-resistance for economy and are indeed utterly useless in snow and/or cold weather. If I were buying one and not planning to fit snows in winter, I'd be insisting that something more suitable for all year round use were fitted.