Mitsubishi Lancer Estate - Spare Wheel Query - Craggyislander
Hi Folks

I picked up a 2nd hand 55 plate Lancer Sport estate from an independent dealer at the weekend and all is fine apart from the fact that it has the incorrect spare wheel in the boot. Instead of a space saver(T125 70 D16) being in there,I found a full size steel wheel with tyre dimensions of 205 60 16. The standard alloys on the car take 195 50 R16 84V. Also the securing clamp holding the wheel to the boot floor is missing....

Is the garage obliged to supply the correct standard spec spare for me?

Thanks

Edited by Craggyislander on 10/05/2011 at 23:37

Mitsubishi Lancer Estate - Spare Wheel Query - mickyh7

Just remember,if you need to fit the space saver wheel,you'll be limited to 50mph !

The wheel you have is a better bet if you need to change it and you need do do Motorway speeds. You are correct in saying it is the wrong size.Probably OK to get you home,but it would fail an MOT if left on ! It could also bring on your ABS light

I don't know how they get away with a spare wheel that only allows 50mph on British motorways,you become a moving chicane.

Very dangerous.IMHO

Edited by mickyh7 on 11/05/2011 at 11:13

Mitsubishi Lancer Estate - Spare Wheel Query - gordonbennet

The current spare tyre is 153.81mm larger in rolling circumference, whether it will clear the wheelarches i don't know, i wouldn't run such a different size.

If the dealer doesn't want to make things right....and as above i personally would prefer a full size sapre wheel, not one designed for a wheelbarrow....then your first job is to check see if the wheel fits, which somehow i doubt, i imagine it's been swapped at some point for any old wheel lying round, if it does fit, make sure the wheelnuts are suitable too....some cars have much longer wheelbolts for alloys and in some cases using those bolts on steel wheel will cause brake damage (MB rears for example).

If no joy then get yourself a full size wheel from a scrappy, alloy or steel for your car, and make sure to grap a set of bolts if it's a steel just in case.

Mitsubishi Lancer Estate - Spare Wheel Query - Craggyislander

Great advice guys thanks :-)