WIN: A mega bundle of Christmas prizes - worth more than £1000! Click here to enter | No thanks
Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing  
Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - Zafira B 1.9cdti

Hello,

I have got a Zafira B. I'm facing a strange problem, the engine oil level is more than MAX level (about 1cm above MAX level). I send to garage and drain 0.5 lit of engine oil, after that, the oil level is around MAX level. After 200KM running, check oil level again, the level is again at 1cm above MAX level. I have no idea what is happening to my car. The car is running smoothly without any abnormality like knocking sound, smoke and etc. The coolant level is well maintained.

Appreciate your help.

Tags: technical issues oil cooling systems maintenance and servicing

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - dervdave

Unburnt diesel getting into the sump because of incomplete DPF regenerations ?

Does the oil on the dipstick smell of diesel ?

I bought this car 3 months ago, the indicator was showing up and i did not do a proper regen on my car for about 1 hour because i have no idea what is the indicator for. After that, the garage did a force regen for me. After the force regen, I do not see the indicator light anymore until now.

1. Is there any indication when the regen is taking place? (except the pre-heat indicator light). My driving style is like 100KM per day on highway and i never see

2. How to make a force regen by myself? I was told if i maintain at a high rev and the car will automatically perform a regen. I tried to keep rev at 3500rpm for 10mins but i still do not see any indication light on.

3. If the diesel is going into the sump, do you think i can burn off the diesel with long km running on highway? Apparently not, because i try to run continuously 200KM yesterday and the oil level is still high this morning.

4. What will be the consequence of high level engine oil level? wreck engine?

I think i smell a bit diesel from the dipstick. But i am not too sure it is a smell of diesel.

I think i smell some diesel from the dip stick.

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - Armitage Shanks {p}

I am unable to locate an old thread re Mazda 6 diesels in which members described £7000 bills for wrecked engines and zero interest from Mazda. The symptoms were exactly as yopu describe = unburned diesel from failed regeneration geting into the sump and showing an increased level on the dipstick.. If the problem is ignored the level can rise until the point where the engine will run on its own sump contents and go uncontrolled to max rpm until it self destructs. This cannot be controlled with the throttle or the ignition key, the engine is out of your control. Ignore this problem if you can afford a new engine, not covered under warranty, if Mada's reaction is anything to go by.This post relates to a Mazda failure

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=84889

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 09/05/2011 at 14:23

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - dervdave

Unburnt diesel getting into the sump because of incomplete DPF regenerations ?

Does the oil on the dipstick smell of diesel ?

There is a chance the cause may be leaking injectors dribbling diesel or their seals.

Thank you. I sent it to the garage again. They test the engine oil level in a warm state and after cold down 5mins and its level is about at max level. what would be the level in cold state? do you think above max level is normal in cold?

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - unthrottled

The oil level reading should be the same irrespective of oil temperature. The viscosity of oil changes with temperature but it's volume doesn't!

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - topbloke

for this vehicle to do a dynamic regeneration it will need at least 30 miles at a higher rpm than normal suggest 3/4 gear greater than 2500 rpm,

their was/is a software update to make the glowplug light to flash to tell you it's desperate for a regen,

there are a few other parameters that need to be met before the regen takes place engine temp etc but a good hard long run( after the oil level is set to correct level" is the cheapest way or into a garage that can make the vehicle do a static regen "AFTER" the oil and filter has been changed and the service light/insp light has been reset, it will then still need a dynamic regen Regards TB

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - darrentshaw

The engine management light on my 2008 Zafira came on. When I got it back the light came on again. I was told they hadn't done a regeneration. Two weeks ago my engine started 'rattling'. Pulled in and checked oil. Level was above the max. Carried on driving but it got worse. Turned out big end bearing shot, ended up doing serious damage, resulting in a new engine being required. Only 3 months out of warranty. Before I fork out for a new engine I was wondering whether there is a chance of this being a result of a faulty engine part or the garage. My car has been serviced each time in a Vauxhall dealers.

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - dieselnut

If your car has been serviced 100% at Vauxhall, I would be looking for a serious contribution by Vauxhall towards the new engine.

When you have failed regens the engine oil gets diluted with diesel fuel, which obviously isn't as good a lubricant as engine oil & this has probably caused the breakdown of lubrication film to the big end.

Do you do lots of short runs ie less than 10 miles that would result in failed regens?

No, I actually drive 120miles a day (2x60mile trips), the majority on motorway and A class roads. However I have slowed down considerably in an effort to increase my economy. I asked the dealers about the chance of there being diesel in the oil, but all the oil has been drained from the engine. Vauxhall will contribute 37% towards a reconditioned engine, but since the garage cannot pin down the true cause of the engine damage, I'm seriously considering trading it in as I can't afford it to happen again!

Edited by darrentshaw on 19/05/2011 at 22:22

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - dieselnut

It's unfortunate there is no oil to get analysed as i'm sure there would have been a high percentage of diesel in it & Vaux waould have had to offer more than 37%, convenient eh.

Think you may have had a faulty sensor on the engine causing multiple regens when it wasn't nescessary & filling your sump with diesel.

Your cheapest way forward would be to get a low mileage engine from a scrappy & get a local independant garage to fit it.

Best of luck.

Zafira B 1.9CDTI - 1.9cdti Engine Oil increasing - piston power

A cheaper option is a short motor and re use your cylinder head, You get a new bottom end.

I said to one of the parts guys that I my economy would drop every other day. That would tie in with your idea of a faulty sensor causing too many regens.

I'm reluctant (and unable) to stump up £2600 to get it fixed. Even if I go to an independent garage I'll still need to pay for the work done in the franchised dealer's. Also worried if it happens again.

Thinking of trading into the dealer for something else, taking a drop in vehicle, but saving out a big expenditure.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Buying Advice

Honest John's Newsletter

Connect with Honest John

Facebook YouTube