Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V - Astra 1.6 8V engine noise - vx220

I have 2 problems with the 100,000 mile engine in my Mk5 Astra 1.6 8V that may be linked.

The oil filler cap gets covered with "mayonaise" even on lengthy journey use and particularly on short journeys

The engine makes a load ticking sound like a blown exhaust manifold gasket when accelerating, but not when the engine is at steady revs or at tickover. needless to say I can't find an exhaust leak. I've changed the oil twice and it's still the same.

Any ideas? VX220

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V - Astra 1.6 8V engine noise - unthrottled

This does sound like Head gasket failure, I'm afraid. Is it using coolant? Any oily sheen in the coolant? Any ground hugging white smoke from the exhaust?

I once had a h/g failure between cylinders 1 and 2 and, under acceleration, the engine knocked badly. I figure hot gasses from cylinder were leaking into the adjacent cylinder and causing preignition. Although this H/G gasket failure did not affect the coolant system.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V - Astra 1.6 8V engine noise - vx220

This does sound like Head gasket failure, I'm afraid. Is it using coolant? Any oily sheen in the coolant? Any ground hugging white smoke from the exhaust?

I once had a h/g failure between cylinders 1 and 2 and, under acceleration, the engine knocked badly. I figure hot gasses from cylinder were leaking into the adjacent cylinder and causing preignition. Although this H/G gasket failure did not affect the coolant system.

I agree that sounds likely and I should have said in the first submission that the coolant looks and smells just as it should. The exhaust fumes are invisible and not smelly either.

Sounds a bit like your h/g failure, though.

It does seem that the thermostat is stuck open as it over-cools at speed and on repeated short runs leaves mayonaise, but not on long runs.

Another thing, it doesn't seem to be down on power; there's not much there at the best of times so a loss of one cylinder would be noticeable and it runs very smoothly apart from the loud ticking. (it's not quite hard enough to be described as a knocking)

I wonder if it is the gasket and it's leaking out of the engine without affecting the coolant or another cylinder??

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V - Astra 1.6 8V engine noise - Avant

Moved to Technical.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V - Astra 1.6 8V engine noise - jonrat

I have the same with my 1.6 8V have you found the answer?

I also carried out a compression test but that was within spec for all 4 cylinders.